Clownfish Emergency

vanquish

Clownfish Emergency
Ladies and gentlemen, I am facing a MASSIVE crisis. I don’t usually post my problems on here, just questions, because I always seem to find solutions on my own by searching through threads. But this is completely beyond me and I fear needs IMMEDIATE attention.
For the past several days the behavior of my clownfish has changed dramatically. My tank is about 7 months and I’ve had them since the beginning so I know them quite well. About four days ago I woke up and found my clowns swimming broad side up in the corners of the tank at the very surface of the water. I thought nothing of it, because I had done a water change just before. The next day they were lethargic, and slow moving. All the while swimming at the top on their sides. Yesterday one lost the ability to swim at the top, and was hanging out on the bottom. The other was resting atop a power head gasping. Today they are moving VERY slowly. One is swimming at the top sideways in a corner and the other is on the bottom gasping.
I preformed tests and changed the water. Before the change the readings were:
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PO4: 1.0
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.0245
Ca: 530
KH: 190
I know the calcium and hardness has been off, but it’s been that way for a while. The only changes which have occurred recently are an upgrade in lighting (2x 65w pc lighting over 20g of tank) and an explosion of red slime algae which I am struggling to control. Could either of these be responsible for my fish’s health? I can find no parasites or markings of any kind on their bodies. Could this be a bacterium? Virus? I really don’t have any idea and I’m running out of options.
Please people; please help with your comments. I love these fish incredibly and would be devastated if they died (although in their condition I’m surprised that they are still alive)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using any chemicals for the red-slime? Why is the calcium so high? What do you do to mix salt?
What other fish are in the tank?

vanquish

Originally Posted by Beth
Are you using any chemicals for the red-slime? Why is the calcium so high? What do you do to mix salt?
What other fish are in the tank?
No chems yet, but Im going to buy something today hopefully. Ca is high because I was using PurpleUp before i had a test kit. I have since stoped. The saltwater is premixed with RO at my LFS.

sac10918

What about stray electicity? Do you have a grounding probe? I think there is a thread in the FAQ section about finding stray electricity and fixing it. How is the water flow in the tank? Good enough to break the surface of the tank and get oxygen into the water?
Gosh, I sure hope that you can figure this out and save your fish. I love my fish very much also and I know how it feels when things are not right and you are worried!
It might not be stray electricity or lack of oxygen, but perhaps. Just an idea.