clownfish ick or stings?

i have a pair of true percs and the male of course is in charge of doing the dirty work. i recently got an elegance coral and the female doesnt really go by it but the male is working hard to get it to host them, since i got it he gets little white specks on him, it looks like ick but then again it doesnt. it looks like it may be getting stung by the elegance coral, is this possible? or do i have ick?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by armywife1314
http:///forum/post/2627795
i have a pair of true percs and the male of course is in charge of doing the dirty work. i recently got an elegance coral and the female doesnt really go by it but the male is working hard to get it to host them, since i got it he gets little white specks on him, it looks like ick but then again it doesnt. it looks like it may be getting stung by the elegance coral, is this possible? or do i have ick?
Coral stings are dark pigmentation. They are not white. Take a look at the "diseased Fish" pics for examples of Hyper-melaninization. Did you quarantine your other purchases?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you describe it more thoroughly, or better, post a picture?

it doesnt show on pictures and theres only a few maybe 10 last night and i just looked and now there is maybe 5. its only on his sides, not his fins or gils etc, just where he rubs on the coral. none of my other fish have any of it on them, i was thinking it may have to do with the coral and the fish somehow. i dont know.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by armywife1314
http:///forum/post/2628841
it doesnt show on pictures and theres only a few maybe 10 last night and i just looked and now there is maybe 5. its only on his sides, not his fins or gils etc, just where he rubs on the coral. none of my other fish have any of it on them, i was thinking it may have to do with the coral and the fish somehow. i dont know.
Take a close look at the fish with a magnifying glass. Coral stings are not white. They may be kicking up some sand or something. Sand will be coarse looking, ich is round and smooth, Lymphocystis is clumpy. Take a good look and tell us what you see.

i think its sand, could he be getting the sand off the coral? i didnt think sand would really stay on a fish, but then again im starting to think anything can happen.