clownfish longevity?

trastnou1

i was just wondering how long maroon clowns are suppose to live. i have had one for 16 yrs. now. thanks, lori

T

the new guy

I dont know how long they live but I am impressed with yours. That is cool!
[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: The New Guy ]

fender

I've read that they can live to over 20+ years in captivity. Sounds like you're doing things right.

playtime

That is awesome. 16years. Wow!!! I was impressed that I have had my skunk clownfish for 10 months. You are obviously doing something right. Keep up the great work.
Playtime

option720

I have had my maroon clown for over a year now. He is not looking that good right now, poor color, gills look bad, he has been moved 5 times in the last 5 months. New tank, moving home from college (14 hours in beta tank), got married, etc. but he's trooper, i even did fish CPR on him once.

OMG!! That is great!
I've had my Clarkii for over 7 years, and I thought that was long. Now you have just given me hope that I'll have her maybe 7 more!
I'm way attatched to this fish :eek: !
But now maybe I won't have to face her loss for some time........thanks!
Good job....
Hermit

misty

option720...just curious...exactly how do you do "fish CPR"?
Congrats to everyone on their long-time clown friend! I hope I can make mine that happy and keep them that healthy. :D

flydan

Hey,
That is very, very cool! So, just out of curiousity, can you remember what kind of set up you had 16 years ago? There have been so many improvements in swf care over the past few years I am curious as to what worked back then.
Take care,
Dan'l :D

so far ive had my tank raised true percula clown for a year come november, hes survived everything, 3 cycles(my mistakes of course) 15 and 20 degree temp changes, high and low salinty ect... never got ick, always happly swimging around, out of all the fish i had this one has lasted the longest and was NEVER picked on, im thinking about getting another one someday , but my next fishy(when time comes) is a royal gramma, never had luck with them, but i want 1... im thinking wesnday might be the day

option720

Misty-
Fish CPR is a very complicated and complex procedure. It involve balancing the harmonics of the inter-diometricious of the fish...ahhh i am just kidding. Actually i had to just hold "barnaby" by the tail and push him back in forth. I did this because he would just lie on his side on the sand and flap his gills (while breaking my heart at the same time). so basically i did this for two hours or so until i could no longer handle standing over my tank. WELL what do you know, he live and just keeps on truckin'. that is my story

trastnou1

my set up 16 yrs. ago was a 75 gallon on a cast iron stand. had a undergravel filter and just kept it as clean as i could. the corals didn't do so great in it. then went to a 100 gallon wet/dry reef tank. i bought the clown when my daughter was a baby and as she is almost 17 now, i figure the fish is too. she was about the size of a dime when i bought her for $10.00. she is somewhat of a bully, but not too bad. didn't like me putting anything new in her tank close to her anemone, which she has outlived 3. she just eats flake food and once a week some of the prawn i buy for the anemone. great fish :). lori :D