Clownfish problem with eye Please Help!

bs21

Ok well this is the dominant female in my tank. Yesterday i did my normal waterchange and tank maintenace and did not notice this problem on her. It looks like her eye on the one side is turning white. Sort of like a fuzzy looking covering? anyway it also seems like it sticks out slightly more than the other side. I can't see any other spots on her or the male. I feed them with a homade food made from fresh seafood and has garlic in it but no vitachem or anything like that. The only thing different in my tank that i can think of is while trying to grab an aiptasia that had finally released to move i accidentally pinched a pally that was pretty slimy and pissed the rest of the day....so was the aiptasia that i missed looked like it was spitting guts out. COuld that have anything to do with it? Anyway here are pics

any help would be great i'm really worried about her she has been in the tank coming up on year and a half now probably.

bs21

also i recently added a peppermint shrimp to the tank last saturday ...no water from the fish store went into the tsnk or anything though. Not sure if that helps but thought i would provide as much info as possible

perfectdark

Looks like it could be pop eye. Search the disese forums for pop eye there are examples to compare your fish to. Its more of a condition than a disese, poor water quality can be a cause. There is an outline in the disese forum for treatment.

bs21

thank you i just read that. I will test the water even though i did it yesterday. Does it look like it is a bad case? if so if not ...is it worth putting her in Qt? Also if water quality is not the problem should i consider a medication that was under the FAQ?
thank you for your help

perfectdark

Im by far not an expert in fish diseses and illness I have seen at my LFS worse cases. And if i were to give any advice I would say first ask beth or sepultan, and at the same time do a fairly large water change. Start with the first recomendation and go from there. Again take that with a grain of salt.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mix up your salt water for a day or two before adding it to the tank?
Start feeding this fish meaty food soaked in fresh garlic (see the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum). Did you move rocks around when you did the maintenance on your tank? What are your water readings?

bs21

ok i just checked water and everything came back zero (amm. trite) trate was <2.5 and ph was ~8.2. The saltwater was mixed ~day and a half. Unfortunately and forgot to mention this above but the heater wasn't working in mixing bucket but powerhead was going. Temp dropped yesterday ~1 degree but corals were ok so i didnt think of it. I feed a homade food w/ garlic in it but it is getting old and i read in FAQ that garlic loses medicinal value after a while? Is this even if its frozen? I didn't move rocks but did scrape side glass. Tank is a 12g aquapod.

sepulatian

What else is in the tank? This is very slight. I wouldn't be too concerned. Your water is fine. You are feeding good food. Pick up some zoecon and selcon though. Add one of those to one meal everyday. Rotate between them.

bs21

ok i will check Lfs for them ....are they similar to vita-chem or should i stick with the two you mentioned?
Thanks for the help!
Also i have a QT if it gets worse/ doesn't get better incase i need to try a medication

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bs21
ok i will check Lfs for them ....are they similar to vita-chem or should i stick with the two you mentioned?
Thanks for the help!
Also i have a QT if it gets worse/ doesn't get better incase i need to try a medication
Putting him into a qt is best. He will get individual care there, rather than just chancing the odds in the display. Zoecon and Selcon would be in the same section as vitachem, but are not the same.

bs21

just to give an update today her eye looks alot better. It is still bulging out some but it is not as cloudy. Last night I went to the store and bought new seafood and garlic and made a fresh batch of food and fed them. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but im glad she is looking better.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bs21
just to give an update today her eye looks alot better. It is still bulging out some but it is not as cloudy. Last night I went to the store and bought new seafood and garlic and made a fresh batch of food and fed them. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not but im glad she is looking better.
That is wonderfull to hear!! Keep us updated!