clownfish question

tripleup05

I'm planning on getting two perculas for my tank. Should they be introduced together, or would it be ok to buy one and then the other one sometime later. Or does it matter either way?

smallfry

when i got mine i was told they should be purchased at the same time and come from the same tank. I did that and they are doing great. the one that becomes larger will be the female.:rolleyes:

lori faust

I did just the same...bought my perc's at the same time, same tank...and dont think you are being to picky when it comes to making them pick out the "exact " two that you want!
And just a lil note:...dont panic if they sleep up at the top of the tank on their sides right at the surface, under the filter return, a powerhead or even tucked between the heater and the glass...mine have a whole reef to play in and they return to the powerhead every night.
---Lori:)

trigger78

Originally posted by cvk531
this is kind of off subject, but it is about clown fish. what does a false clown fish mean?

Good question! I don't understand false perc either! The only thing I know is that they look a little different.

bigarn

A false perc is an Ocellaris clown. They don't have the black outline along the center stripe. I think there are other ways to tell them apart.... but that's what I go by. Oh yeah... the percs are usually darker orange I believe. :D

lori faust

Another way to tell is to count the dorsal spines...lol...if you can get them to sit still long enough...Perc's usualy have 10 and the Ocellaris usualy have 11 spines.
Also keep in mine that SOME LFS are selling Ocellaris clowns as Perc's...whether intentional or not...find a reliable LFS and do some reserch.
Either way...IMO...I think they are both wonderfull lil fish...and both get an A+
:happyfish Lori

dea_mt

yeah i think it's best to buy 2 at a time...make sure that when u get them they come from the same tank at the fish shop...they will become a pair easier because when they get introduced to ur tank the only thing familiar will be eachother so inturn will stick together and make sure that when u buy one that one is a light orange and one is a dark orange one but that they are both perculas

cowfishrule

Originally posted by Lori Faust
And just a lil note:...dont panic if they sleep up at the top of the tank on their sides right at the surface, under the filter return, a powerhead or even tucked between the heater and the glass...mine have a whole reef to play in and they return to the powerhead every night.
---Lori:)

my pec floats behind the return of my fluval, and he loves to host in my food clip

jay knows

I just added a clownfish to my SWT... He is like crazy active and constantly swimming around the tank... Could it be bc he is young or should I be concerned that he is not chilling anywhere?