Clownfish Territory

JH919

Hello once again salt people,
I have a question about 2 Ocellaris Clowns I've had for 2 months. Since day one they don't venture out of the top corners (either side) of my 75g tank. Never once did I see them swim at or near the bottom. Is this normal behavior? They eat well and are healthy,
but the are still pretty small.
BTW: water parameters are good. Let me know folks. Good day! :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, clowns tend to pick a spot and there they stay. As long as you they look healthy and eat, they should be fine. Is your tank have live rock?

jay0705

I agree. My clowns never moved in my 75. It was about a 2ft area 95% of the time. Even today i moved them into my new tank. They have a ton more room. Still just sticking around the top and near the heaters lol

JH919

Yep, clowns tend to pick a spot and there they stay. As long as you they look healthy and eat, they should be fine. Is your tank have live rock?
Plenty of live rock. Maybe they'll move down with the addition of corals?

lmforbis

Not likely. They pick their spot and tend to stay near by. Mine hangs out in a depression in the rock. Never ventures far unless I'm near the tank. Then all of the fish come to me hoping for food.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you can place something that simulates an anemone. I had a fake rock once in a fish only tank that had a deep round hole and my clown hosted this fake rock. Are you going to add corals at some point?

JH919

If you can place something that simulates an anemone. I had a fake rock once in a fish only tank that had a deep round hole and my clown hosted this fake rock. Are you going to add corals at some point?
At some point yes. I just added a yellow tang from my QT over the weekend and that guy doesn't move far from a certain spot (of his choosing) as well. You can never get fish to do what you want...