Clowns and Damsels

jbax

Can they coexist? I have three Domino Damsels in a newly cycled 75 gallon tank (I bought them to help cycle). I was wondering if I could put a clown or two in with them and maybe a anemome.

marty

I cycled my 80gal tank with both clowns and damsels (probably about 6-8 of the following clowns and damsels). I now have 2 maroon clowns, 2 orange clowns, 2 yellow clowns, 2 sgt major damsels, 1 striped damsel, 1 domino damsel, 1 yellow-tailed blue damsel, and 1 yellow tang. Be aware that some damsels (in my experience, the sgt majors) are very aggressive. I bought my yellow tang only a few weeks ago and did not rearrange the tank to confuse the damsels. He get severly picked on to the pick I had to put him in a hospital tank with antibiotics. Rearrange your tank items when you add anything. Not sure if Domino damsels are aggressive, but that suggestion. My clowns and damsel have no problem together.
Just my 0.02 worth today. Good luck.

I have two perc clowns added after my two damsels. Rearranging the tank is the best way, no one got picked on and all new territory had to be established. Now, I've even seen my yellow tail damsel cuddle up to my larger perc.

big dave

They sould be ok together. I would rearrange the decorations/LR if the damsels were in first so the clowns have the chance to establish territories. I personally have a true percula clown and a yellow-tailed demoiselle damsel in my 29 gallon reef.

heath

domino damsels are anemone fish too, make sure you do your research and pick out a clown/anemone that the damsels will not take to, otherwise you'll have 4 fish fighting over the anemone.
for example, carpet anemones will host dominos and clarkii clowns both ...
heath

royce

I would keep an eye on those dominos - mine was the smallest one in the tank when I got him, and then he exploded in size and picked on everyone until I finally had to give him away. I've got a poor Charlie Brown yellow tang that never has regrown his fins. On the other hand, my other damsels, blue yellow tail and 4-stripe zebra, got along just fine with my clowns. good luck!

ocellaris_keeper

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Remove the damsels ASAP - they can be a real pain in the tank - especially if you want to put some pretty (but docile) fish into your tank.

billyv

I agree with Bud-On-Tap. Get rid of the damsels. Sell them back to your lfs for cash or store credit. You'll be better off in the long run. And keep your fish population light!