Clowns Arnt Reef Safe!!!

fishman88

my clown fish killed (well it is dying) my plate coral!!! they kept kicking sand up on it and stressed it out alot and now it is dying i moved it to another location i hope it will surive
mike:happyfish

It wasn't the clown that killed the coral, it was the sand . . . your clown was most likely trying to host in the plate. My clowns do the same exact thing to my open brain.

nm reef

Thats a fairly radical conclusion!
I'm not sure what may be happening to your plate coral...but my tomato clown has hosted with my short tentacle plate for 18 months or so...kicks sand up on it frequently...and my plate coral is doin' fine.
So I'm guessing that clowns may possibly be reef safe...and plate corals can suffer from conditions not related to clowns and/or sand.:thinking:

fishman88

ok so sand isnt reef safe...lol but i guess it wasnt just the clowns eerything liked to sit on it.... my blenny my sally and then the clowns with the sand kicking... is there anyway i can save it befor it dyes?
mike :happyfish

jugger

my clown did the same thing and would make the plate deflate......so i coverd the sand bed with rocks untill the clown stopped.... well stopped for a few weeks but now hes starting up again