Clowns digging

bowfish

I have two ocelaris clowns and the bigger of the two keeps digging in the sand bed.It looks like its trying to dig a bed to lay eggs in, but I thought that clowns laid their eggs on rock.

matth2181

my clown diggs a nice little dip in the sand all the time and is always making it even out. he sleeps in the dips. lately he dug out a dip in front a large empty snail shell that he sleeps in now.

sandyc24pa

I have a clown that also does this 'digging'. The tank doesn't have an anemone. If we added an anemone, any thoughts on whether or not the clown would stop the digging?

btldreef

Originally Posted by bowfish
http:///forum/post/3140209
I have two ocelaris clowns and the bigger of the two keeps digging in the sand bed.It looks like its trying to dig a bed to lay eggs in, but I thought that clowns laid their eggs on rock.
They do this. Clownfish are so named, because well, they're clowns, the do weird things. Sometimes they do this because it's part of their little mating dance, sometimes they do it, well, because they can. It's fine and completely normal.

btldreef

Originally Posted by sandyc24pa
http:///forum/post/3159641
I have a clown that also does this 'digging'. The tank doesn't have an anemone. If we added an anemone, any thoughts on whether or not the clown would stop the digging?
Possibly. There's never a guarantee to whether or not a clown will host an anemone, but more than likely it will if it's trying to "host" the sand. You may have to coax it a little. If you're considering an anemone, go with a bubble tip. They're the easiest to care for and the easiest to get a clown to host.

cherylann

Both my pairs of clowns one Black Clowns and the other Onxy do not host their anemones. The black ones host the output flow and the onxy host the frog spawn and both pairs dig. In the past my clown fish have always hosted their anemone even if they were hosting something different to begin with once I put an anemone in they molested it basically. I often wonder if the aquacultured clown fish which both are, are capable of recognizing the proper thing to host?

lord fu fu

i've had my maroon clown for 3 years now (he is still some how an 1.5''s long) but he has an anemone now that he hosts and he digs even more they truly are clowns