clowns in a 75

ams153

just wonderin what peoples suggestions are for max amount of true percula clowns in a 75gallon reef.. we woud like a small school of them but dont want to overdue it to much.. the only other fish would be a lawnmower blenny to control hair algae..

smoney

Im not so sure that clowns school. From what I understand, if you have like four or five it may work, but, two might try to kill off the rest to try and mate with one another.

db

I would suggest only going with two and tring to get a mated pair. If you can't find a mated pair try to find one that is fairly small and one that is larger. The small one usually submits right away to the larger clown which will become the female. I don't think getting more is a good idea since they might fight each other for dominance.

nm reef

Two could work if they mate....normally two or more will fight to establish dominance and territory. Most times the aggression will result in death or stress related issues.

X

xrobbx03

i would just stick with a pair. Get one that is the biggest Perc at the LFS and then one that is one of the smallest they should pair in no time.

thegrog

Only two clowns of any species in that size tank. They are territorial and will fight any other clowns they see.

wangotango

yeah they dont school. a tank at a restaraunt near me has a 125 with 2 pairs. but it probably only works because its a big tank with several anemones.

ams153

ok well i want to keep a schooling fish in with the clowns and lawnmower blenny in the 75 gallon tank but i want oppinions on best kinds and how many of each kind and how many groups i could keep.. my favs were probably the spotted cardinal.. and the green chromis damsel.. then there was the pictilis anthias, and the purple queen anthias, and then the Lyretail Orange anthias.. what would be best and how many could i keep for a school and would i be able to keep a school of two kinds of fish or would thetank just be to small?
also are there any other cool schooling fish out there that im missing?

clown123

only 2 will skool like other ppl said my 2little guys have never i mean never left eachothers side yet if one goes to the top the other right next to it they only eat when there both up neaxt to eachother its pretty coool and funny.

ams153

well im thinking a pair of true percs. and then a school of one or two of the fish listed above?

clownfish0

Originally Posted by wax32
Get the Blue/Green Chromis, Chromis viridis.
Get what Wax suggested. Get like 7 of them. It will loo nice with a mated pair of clowns and a lawnmower blenny.

ams153

cool thanks for the help.. and keeping more than one kind of schooling fish in a 75 would be bad? tank just too small?

smoney

Yeah, just one schooling fish. My friend got like green/blue chromis in a 20 gallon tank. And they looked cool schooling together. But I told my friend to take them back 20 gallons was definetly too small. One of he coolest skoolers ever would have to be the Heniochus Black & White Butterflyfish in stevewests 300 gallon tank. Get the chromis they are cool skoolers!
:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

clownfish0

Originally Posted by clown123
only 2 will skool like other ppl said my 2little guys have never i mean never left eachothers side yet if one goes to the top the other right next to it they only eat when there both up neaxt to eachother its pretty coool and funny.
maroons i presume? the real ones. :thinking:

clownfish0

Originally Posted by clown123
NOPEEEE! :joy: my other 2babies my percs! there in LOVE! :hilarious
i guess my tone of voice didn't stand out. I thought you had 130 dollar maroons? :thinking: