Clowns keep dying

holliek

Hi!! My tank is now a couple of years old, and I can't seem to keep clown fish alive in it! I've tested everything in it from temperature, salinity, and a complete chemistry analysis and everything is fine. Everything else lives!
A couple of months ago, I had a pair of clowns, and the female died, then a couple of days later the male died. Now, I just bought two and they have been in the tank 3 days now. When we woke this morning, one of them was laying dead in the anenome. The other one appears to be fine. I have a few pictures of the tank, and I'm going to try to attach them.
What am I doing wrong??

holliek

Hmm.. that's an idea. I thought that clown fish and anenome's went together?
Unless I have a mutant anenome :)

sistrmary

It depends on the clown and the anemone. In nature, most clowns will host with only one or two (maroon clowns will only host in the bubbletip in nature. At times in the aquarium, they've taken to other anemones, but it's pretty rare) It could be that the anemone you have isn't one the clowns take to in nature. If they're too eager and don't go through an adjustment period (to get used to the nematocysts' sting in the anemone) it's just as harmful to them as it would be to any other fish.
Generally, they'll take their time getting used to it unless they lived in it before they were caught. Or it could be that they're tank raised and had never seen/touched an anemone before.

holliek

So what do you think happened with my fish last night? Do you think it just got too close? Will the other clown know to stay away? What should I do?
I have a bubble anenome also, and it isn't going to that either. It just sits at the top of the tank, to the left and only swims around the tank when I feed it. Yesterday, when the other one was in there too, they both sat at the top of the tank.
Any suggestions?

holliek

The tang has been in there now for about 6 months and it's doing great. I understand that it probably won't be OK in there forever (read that after I bought it) - but it's a happy critter right now.

holliek

Here are the latest readings;
pH = 8.2
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites = 0
Ammonia = 0
Specific Gravity = around 2.1 (can't read my hydrometer too well)
Temp = 77.8

richard rendos

Salinity is 2.1? What kind of scale is that. Usually hydrometers show numbers like 1.023 or they show parts per thousand like 45 ppt.

buzz

You mentioned you "also" had a bubble tip, but you never said (unless I missed it) what kind of anemone you have that they are dying in...or staying away from.
What kind is it?

holliek

The other anenome's are Florida Condi - but those are new additions. The last clown fish pair died and there was only a Bubble anenome. This one died after the Florida Condi additions and it was laying dead and the anenome was holding tightly onto it when I woke up.

buzz

If it was holding tightly on to it, sounds like lunch...
But I really am not too familiar with those...anyone with more experience with Florida Condi's?

C

croptop

Interesting we just bought a Condi, dont know if its a Florida condi but it could be. Our Clown fish wont go near it, but I just thought maybe he'd never been near one before so he didnt know what he was missing. Id be interested in knowing if this killed your fish. Anybody??