Clowns-Not eating much

vpotts28

I posed this question in the clown section yesterday but didn't get much. I know this is a sin, but I'm doing it anyway
j/k
I bought two clowns on Sunday. I have Ocean Nutrition Formula one pellets, and Ocean Nutrition brine shrimp plus (frozen). Now, another member did tell me to soak in garlic, and maybe get some Mysis, Silverside, or Krill to mix with the pellets, and to crush the pellets up. Now, I bought some Kent Garlic Xtreme yesterday and did put some on the pellets, have not bought the Mysis, Silverside, or Krill yet. Well they still didn't take the pellets. The directions on the Garlic say to add two drops per teaspoon of food. Should I use more Garlic? And how often should I be feeding them, once or twice a day?

mr. limpid

Fresh garlic is better and cheaper. there is a good thread by Beth in the top of the diease form about garlic. As long as they are eating they will do fine, its better to feed little often then alot at one time. good luck

vpotts28

Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid
Fresh garlic is better and cheaper. there is a good thread by Beth in the top of the diease form about garlic. As long as they are eating they will do fine, its better to feed little often then alot at one time. good luck
Mr. Limpid thank you for directing me to the right place. That was great info, and I will take the garlic xtreme back tonight.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid

This posting by Beth regarding home made fish food is absolutely amazing. I went home, bought some scallops, shrimp, squid, and some garlic. I minced it all down, though it almost made me vomit, the smell my god. But I gave it to the clowns and they went absolutely nuts for it. I recommend to all.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Vpotts28
This posting by Beth regarding home made fish food is absolutely amazing. I went home, bought some scallops, shrimp, squid, and some garlic. I minced it all down, though it almost made me vomit, the smell my god. But I gave it to the clowns and they went absolutely nuts for it. I recommend to all.
Nice. All that fish shouldn't have almost made you vomit. Fresh fish, shrimp, squid, scallops, shouldn't be that strong of an odor. If it is not fresh it will stink. To make sure you are getting fresh seafood ask the store to allow you to smell it before you buy it. Every good fish market down here will allow this. Also, make sure that any seafood is not touching ice. Ice will damage the fillets and such. Can be on plate or on its skin just not directly on the meat. Just FYI.

earlybird

I should note that I'm very picky about my seafood. I never freeze my fish. If I'm not eating it that night I don't buy it or keep it (if I catch it). Slightly different when considering your own fish I'm sure. I plan on making my own food and freezing it.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by earlybird
I should note that I'm very picky about my seafood. I never freeze my fish. If I'm not eating it that night I don't buy it or keep it (if I catch it). Slightly different when considering your own fish I'm sure. I plan on making my own food and freezing it.
The worst part about it eb, wasn't the smell, I described that wrong. It was processing it down into this paste/mush, and the smell of the garlic, and a hint of seafood. The squid was probably the worst. But hey, it wasn't for me, the clowns gobbled it up like no tomorrow

vpotts28

That's great. How fine did you blend it? When you put it in your tank did it go all over the place?
Imagine the paste glue you used in kintergarten, that is what it looked like. But it didn't smell like it, and I certainly wasn't about to taste it. And when I put it in the tank it did not go all over the place. It stayed in a clump. I am freezing down the rest into blocks. Hopefully when I break a piece off, it will fall apart, or I will have to squish it all together and break it up.

vpotts28

Just curious how much seafood did you buy in lbs and $?

Honestly I only bought a little to make sure I could do it. In lbs I can't tell you, but I bought 5 large grey shrimp, 3 scallops, and 3 squid tubes. I only spent 5.80 with the garlic, I got four good size blocks out of that.

jessi p

How did you form it into blocks? I imagine using a used fish food tray (like for mysis or frozen brine) works best but what if you dont have an empty one?

vpotts28

Originally Posted by Jessi P
How did you form it into blocks? I imagine using a used fish food tray (like for mysis or frozen brine) works best but what if you dont have an empty one?

What I did is put it into a casserole or baking pan spread it out and froze it for about an hour. I then took it out, and cut it into blocks like you would find when you buy frozen fish food. I packaged each one individually into a freezer bag and put it into the freezer. Read Beth's post about fish diseases at the top in the disease forum, it lets you know how to make it..