clowns with white lips?

unsalted

I have two perc clowns ithey have been in tank 8 mo. They both have lost their orange around their mouths.
I did a water change four days ago because of high nitrates (40) now 10. pH 8.4 Nitrites 0.0 Temp 78 NH3 0.0
PO4 0.0
KH 8.6
Alk 3.09
Now I overdosed the Ca and the readings are off of the charts, if I extrapolate the chart the calcium is somewhere around 1100 PPM AFTER the water change I am preparing to do another one tommorrow.
It will take several changes to get the Ca down I know. Is there another way to lower Ca??
Diet consists of brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plankton. I was using some Prime Reef flake by Ocean nutrition, but ran out a month ago. I just added Emeral entree again, which I was using a while back.
So why are they losing orange??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
A few water changes that has not been treated with CAL will do the job of lowering. What salt do you use?
You may want to try expanding your fish's diet or even go with fresh seafoods. There's a receipe in the FAQ Thread.
What lighting are you using? Is it time to change lighting? Lighting can make a big difference in the colors of fish and other animals in the tank.

unsalted

I use insant ocean.
lighting is a Formosa Deluxe hood 2x10,000k and 2x6500 PC
The bulbs are a year old.

Might be time to replace bulbs. I change my pc's every 6 months whether it looks like they need it or not because the spectrums start to shift.
Rich

unsalted

I guess I'll order up some new bulbs. Where do you get yours?
I'm a Bucs fan too. JEEESH, what a season, defense took the year off. I came down to see the Cowboy game and met Monte Kiffen out the night before. GREAT GUY!! He let me wear his ring!!