CO Clams from candycane

turningtim

Here are the clams I picked up from candycane last Thurs.
I'm very pleased and they seem to making themselves quite at home!
Thanks candycane they are great! Can't wait for more!

Tim

el guapo

Originally Posted by TurningTim
http:///forum/post/2615920
Here are the clams I picked up from candycane last Thurs.
I very pleased and they seem to making themselves quite at home!
Thanks candycane they are great! Can't wait for more!

Tim

Awesome .
I'm going to have to come out and see them in person .

spiderwoman

Nice!!!! Mine are coming in tomorrow and I can't wait! How often do you feed them? Did you get the stuff Candycane recommended?

candycane

I think he was planning on trying some, but I don't know if he got around to ordering it.
I gave him a bag of other stuff to check out. It was a mix of Coral Frenzy and Cyclop-Eeze.

turningtim

Nope I haven't gotten the special mix yet but I have tried the other stuff you gave me. I'm liking A LOT!
No worries Spidey you'll be pleased as punch!

The dark looks great in the pic, but honestly the light one really doesn't do it justice. I have to try a different angle.
You all must post pics!
Tim

nietzsche

as long as your tank as mature and you have fish that are being fed, it should be enough for the clams. cyclop-eeze is too big for them

turningtim

These clams are pretty small. And I'm going to trust the guy that breeds them. He says to fed I'm going to fed. Whats the harm? My other corals and such will benefit from it also.......

spiderwoman

With cyclop-eeze he most likely means the frozen bar which dissolves into water. Mine should be here any hour now!!

nietzsche

you can feed it whatever you want, but trust me, if youre going to spray the cyclo directly into its incurrent siphon youll make it choke--- same thing with phytoplankton.
its going to use up Nitrogen and some nitrates from the water, along with soaking up the lighting; i dont see how its going to process chunky foods like that

spiderwoman

This is a quote from Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L Shimek, Ph.D.
These are suspension-feeding animals, and they need a lot of food to survive, particularly as juveniles
. In nature, until their shell length exceeds about 4inches (10cm), the majority of their nutrition comes from feeding. When the clam is smaller, the volume of the mantle tissue is simply not large enough to provide space for enough zooxanthellae to keep the clam going. Even after that point, food in the form of phytoplankton or dissolved organic mater such as ammonium nitrate is necessary to supplement the production of algal photosynthate from the zooxanthellae. Fortunately, with the advent of phytoplankton food, feeding of the clams is relatively easy, but must be done on a regular schedule for the animal to thrive.
The clams we are talking about here are juveniles.

candycane

I don't really read that much stuff. I just kind of study it. But I look at smaller clams like they are, well anything on the planet that is a juvenille. Most of the stuff that is smaller and growing - that is a living animal, needs more food as their metabolism is usually faster and their growth rate is most of the time sped up as well. This usually only lasts for a certain period of time.
I look at it this way. Clams can use Nitrate, Phosphate, Ammonia, blah blah blah all to feed off of. But it does not usually give them a complete broad range spectrum of all the nutrients they may need. Zooxanthellae only kind of gives them complex sugars and carbohydrates as well.
Now let's look at the rest of a clam. A clams body cavity contains a digestive tract, heart, kidneys, muscles, and other organs. That's a LOT of stuff to run off of carbs and nitrate. Not to mention the fact that it takes a TREMENDOUS amount of effort for a clam to hold it's shell shut or to shut it in the first place right....... When it is holding it's shell shut at night when the lights are out and the Zooxanthellae are not feeding the clam and/or the clam may not be filter feeding - where do you think the "calories" it is burning off are coming from for the energy it takes to keep itself shut........ This may be the reason why when a clam passes (knock on wood it doesn't happen), I will find food stored in the digestive tract or stomach.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2616851
This is a quote from Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L Shimek, Ph.D.
The clams we are talking about here are juveniles.
yes, juveniles, adults:
These are suspension-feeding animals, and they need a lot of food to survive, particularly as juveniles. In nature, until their shell length exceeds about 4inches (10cm), the majority of their nutrition comes from feeding. When the clam is smaller, the volume of the mantle tissue is simply not large enough to provide space for enough zooxanthellae to keep the clam going.
Even after that point, food in the form of phytoplankton or dissolved organic mater such as ammonium nitrate is necessary to supplement the production of algal photosynthate from the zooxanthellae. Fortunately, with the advent of phytoplankton food, feeding of the clams is relatively easy, but must be done on a regular schedule for the animal to thrive.

as i said, theyll take up any of that as long as you feed your fish...
i think the question is more of what size of food theyll take, and i believe cyclopeeze is just too large. alot of poeple have clams without adding adding phyto to the tank, other people claim it works
people even report blowing phytoplankton directly into the incurrent siphon of clams and they begin to close and open rapidly "coughing."

spiderwoman

Candycane, my order of Tahitian Blend Reef Tank Formula is coming in tomorrow. I took the 125ml bottle, how long do you think it will last with the Maxima and Crocea?

candycane

You could probably post the micron size of that stuff, I forget and all of my bottles have the lables rubbed off, LOL. SMELL IT when it comes in. YUM!!! HAHA
Anyways, I think you MIGHT need about 2-3 drops if you turn off your filtration, per 50 gallons of water (the directions are on the website and I think on the bottle). It should turn your water a slight hue of green as well. But clams feed mainly during the day. Then just sit back and watch them start hiccuping all over the place.