Coco worm left tube

cjqsmom

My coco worm has left his tube. Is this normal? I layed the tube on the sand next to him to see what happens. He has been on the sand for 3 days now and yes he is still moving to my surprise been hiding near a rock. I thought for sure the cleaner shrimp would have ate him by now. Another problem I am having is one of my clams is only extending one side of himself out the other side (left) barely extends past the shell.
Celeste

A

alexmir

I think coco worms will leave their shell if they do not like its location. IT can create a new one though, and it should have created a clear, thin shell very quickly for protection. Can you get a picture of it out of the shell? i have always wanted to see mine out of the shell.

cjqsmom

I tired to get a picture but it came out blurry when my hubby wakes up I will have him use his camera, It doesnt look like there is a clear tube around it but he is still moving and has lost all his feathers. Didnt mention it was a hard tube coco worm but I dont think there are soft tube coco worms. He must not have liked his new location cause I was trying to get the clam happy I ticked off the coco worm? He left the tube overnight after the move.
Celeste

A

alexmir

May have upset him, mine had created about 4 inches of tube to get into more flow, i was worried he would come out.
They can regrow their crown of feathers and their tube. So i might keep the lights down so that one of the fish dont pick at him until he finds a spot. For now i would do alot of reading about it.

cjqsmom

thanks for the welcome. I have been trying to do alot of reading but have not come up with alot of answers or info for that matter. Also not sure what website to trust since I found out the hard way you can not trust the fish stores they sold me a decorater crab and told me it was reef safe a few feather dusters, scallops, mushrooms later I caught the little bugger in the act and moved him out of the tank he killed some other things I just cant think of it now.