coco worm question

janastasio

Have had a hard tube coco worm for quite a while now. Has been in the same spot near the top of the tank. It has attached itself to the rock with a translucent tube coming off the hard tube. It hasnt had its crown out in 3 days. The end is cinched tight. I can see a little hole near the top and think I can see the crown inside the tube, so I dont think he threw it. He is in a very high flow area which has increased over the last several months. Would it be ok to pull him off the rock? Will it hurt the tube since he has attached himself to rock? Thanks

janastasio

Thanks. Maybe I'll give it a couple of more days and see what happens. Its always out, which is why I'm concerned. I'll turn the flow down a little on the pump thats in the area where its at, and see if that helps.

moneylaw

are you sure it is hard tube coco worm and not feather duster? I have two co-co worms (they are really beautiful) and feather dusters. In my experience, only feather dusters attached itself to the rock with transparent tube, co-co worm cannot produce transparent tube. (of course i may be wrong). also the tube cannot clinch tight for co-co worm, only feather duster. hard tube co-co worm's tube is very hard, they can't close it. What color is ur co-co worm? I have only seen two colors so far (red/white or red/orange). Just my two cents.

ameno

I agree sounds like a feather duster, coco worms are just a hard shell. eighter way maybe something scared it, maybe a fish are crab started messing with it and made it go in. you might keep an eye on it and see if something is bothering it. getting flow directly off was probably good. mine always seem to like it better with just moderate flow. also has anything changed with your water? since they are filter feeders a change in water quality or something in the water they can react too it.

janastasio

You're right! Its a feather duster. I thought because it has the hard tube it would be a coco worm! Its still inside of its tube. I have no fish in the tank, and havent since October due to a bout of ich. There are 2 star fish and some hermit crabs. Havent seen anything bothering it. Water params all the same. Turned the flow down on the pump. Should I pull it off the rock and change the position, or is this harmful to it? Doesnt seem like the tube is decomposing and I havent seen any scavengers trying to "clean up". Thanks for the replies.

ameno

If it's done good there, If it were me I would leave it and see if it comes back. IMO trying to move it would just cause it more stress.

moneylaw

I would prob leave the feather duster alone. I don't think it is a good idea to pull it from the rock. Just make sure your water parameters are acceptable.

janastasio

So I decided to move the feather duster today and investigate a little further to make sure I didnt have decaying worm in my tank! Feather is still alive, felt it move in the tube. Dont know if it threw its crown, or what its doing in there, but obviously must be more fun than being out in the tank!