cold water anemone

donahue

A friend of mine recently took a trip to the pudget sound and decided to bring me home an anemone. It is the kind that sits in the tide pools on the beach. Will this anemone survive in my tank at temperaturs of 80 degrees as opposed to the 50 degree range?

ophiura

:nope: Maybe if you managed to very slowly increase temperature over time it might...some tidepool animals are tolerant of higher temperatures...but I seriously doubt it will make it. And now you get to decide what to do with such an anemone.
Always encourage friends to bring pictures, not animals. Now a nice thought has turned into something very unfortunate for everyone, not the least of which is the anemone :(

X

xnikki118x

Yay, ophiura is back!! :cheer: :jumping:

Good luck deciding what to do with the anemone. I had a nidibranch that was going to starve in my tank, and I asked on this board how to humanely kill it so it wouldnt starve. Finally, my best friend, a marine bio major, told me that starvation wouldn't be a painful death for the slug--their nervous systems, etc aren't developed enough to feel pain and hunger.
I think if I were you, I'd just keep the anemone in my tank until it passed. That way, you'll at least be able to enjoy it for a little while.

donahue

ophiura i totally agree with you, i had no idea he was going to do it. but i do have plans to go to that area and return it as well.