cold weather bad for seals

n8ball2013

Ok currently I have a 55 gallon in an outside unheated shed. the tank was given to me and will be setup when we move into the new house. Im extremely worried about the seals going bad being in the cold weather. It will be there for another month or so. Is this a bad idea? do i need to try to get it into a heated climate? Any help here is appreciated.

M

markeo99

If it turns real cold be careful going from real cold to warm and vise versa
especially with water around they can sometimes crack from rapid temp swings as long as its totally dry. I wouldnt worry about it but if there could be water in between the seals or something like a bulkhead I would maybe get it in

tru2037

silcone does flex well w/ temp but plastic dosen't. When it gets really cold plastic becomes brittle, which all in all, as long as your careful on the plastic (like picking the tank up) it should be fine but it wont take much to crack. I have a brand new pool - everyone told me to store the skimmer in the "warm" house, I didn't, everything w/ plastic cracked.

ironeagle2006

I hauled All Glass Aquariums in the 90's my trucking company had the contract to do that. Here is a clue they are made outside Milaukee WI and shipped in UNHEATED TRAILERS all over the World. I took a load of them from the plant to the Lancaster PA area in the middle of Winter when the highest temp my thermometer got to -15 yet not one tank cracked or one tank plastic rim broke.