Collecting fish off florida

I posted a thing before about collecting my own fish in Florida.
What I was wondering is does anyone know what's off the coast of venis/Sarasota the siesta key area. Thanks

aquaknight

Unfortunately not a ton, IME. All of the Atlantic fish, do have natural ranges up there, just not really that common. The west coast is great for the laying out on the white sand beaches, but the life in the water isn't much compared to the southeast coasts.
You just are planning to go snorkel off a beach, or actually gonna take a boat out and scuba/dive? Your best bet might be to find a jetty on the actual Gulf, (STAY OUT
of the bays and snorkel that. Could be some interesting wrasses and maybe a butterfly/angel or two.

novahobbies

If you're out in the gulf, look for a passing mat of sargassum weed. All sorts of critters hang out underneath the sargassum as it floats with the current. Crabs, snails, fish, you name it. Last time I was over in Sanibel Island, I was surrounded by a school of tiny planehead filefish. These little buggers have the perfect coloration to blend in to the weed. They just swim along as the sargassum floats. Sargassumfish can also be found under the weed clumps (what a surprise...) but they are either less common, or more difficult to spot...or both. Also, there are times when you can't step three feet in any direction in the surf without finding a sand dollar with your toes. These echinoderms, as I'm sure you already know, are close relatives of sea urchins, but the spines are practically nonexistent. Just please don't pick these guys up out of the water...if you want to look at them, keep them just below the surface. They won't be as stressed out if they're not exposed to air. Happy snorkeling!

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3173455
Unfortunately not a ton, IME. All of the Atlantic fish, do have natural ranges up there, just not really that common. The west coast is great for the laying out on the white sand beaches, but the life in the water isn't much compared to the southeast coasts.
You just are planning to go snorkel off a beach, or actually gonna take a boat out and scuba/dive? Your best bet might be to find a jetty on the actual Gulf, (STAY OUT
of the bays and snorkel that. Could be some interesting wrasses and maybe a butterfly/angel or two.
Idk yet. As of now just snorkel. I was on a jetty today and I saw a ton of little fish that looked like chromis. Idk what they were.

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3173475
If you're out in the gulf, look for a passing mat of sargassum weed. All sorts of critters hang out underneath the sargassum as it floats with the current. Crabs, snails, fish, you name it. Last time I was over in Sanibel Island, I was surrounded by a school of tiny planehead filefish. These little buggers have the perfect coloration to blend in to the weed. They just swim along as the sargassum floats. Sargassumfish can also be found under the weed clumps (what a surprise...) but they are either less common, or more difficult to spot...or both. Also, there are times when you can't step three feet in any direction in the surf without finding a sand dollar with your toes. These echinoderms, as I'm sure you already know, are close relatives of sea urchins, but the spines are practically nonexistent. Just please don't pick these guys up out of the water...if you want to look at them, keep them just below the surface. They won't be as stressed out if they're not exposed to air. Happy snorkeling!
Thank u :) I found a sea urchin today! And a smaller stingray!

new2salt1

The jetty fish that looked like chromis are probably greenbacks. Is that Conor Oberst in your sig or am I seeing things?

I found out there's a starfish you can get out of the bay and into tanks
and seahorses!
But I think I'll make a trip to the keys one weekend and document it for all you on here!

novahobbies

Please don't take the seahorses. Our wild seahorses on the west coast are somewhat scarce, and wild caught seahorses NEVER do well in home aquariums. They don't recognize frozen mysis as "food," and they often starve quickly. If you do decide you want to start a seahorse tank, come 'n visit us in the horse forums!

bmkj02

Well, when I went to the beaches this year in the Clearwater, FL area I caught a few Scooter Blennys. Cute little baby ones. They are doing great in my tanks

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3174759
Please don't take the seahorses. Our wild seahorses on the west coast are somewhat scarce, and wild caught seahorses NEVER do well in home aquariums. They don't recognize frozen mysis as "food," and they often starve quickly. If you do decide you want to start a seahorse tank, come 'n visit us in the horse forums!

Oh yeah I've kept seahorses before so I know all their little needs.
But I don't really want to keep seahorses at the moment. They're way to needy for my time on top of a reef tank, music and work.

bmkj02

Thats the only place I have ever gotten sea horse is off the coast. You can keep them but expect to feed them live ghost shrimps only or they wont eat

adee

we have gotten lots and lots of shrimp, crabs and snails. We have also gotten some unknown chromis looking fish and a few puffers, we are in south florida about an hour north of miami

novahobbies

adee, what LFS's do you guys go to? I wonder if we've unknowingly crossed paths. I go to Barrier Reef in Boca and Exotic Aquatic in Ft. Lauderdale. I also like windowshopping at big al's, but I sometimes think they're the "walmart" of fish stores.....

adee

there are a bunch... we have a new one very close to us in plantation called "the reef zone" and we also shop at big al's. Big Als is more for looking around and the Reef Zone has better prices on everything. I picked up some new corals today for killer prices (A colt and leather toadstool for $5 each) not sure were able to talk about different stores here, may be against TOU, PM me if this gets deleted.. Big als almost always has ick on their stuff and are way over priced IMO.. The Reef Zone in Plantation is strictly family owned and operated, they seem to really care about their stock and customers too.. my parents have a family owned and operated company that my husband and I work for so I tend to help them out more then other places. Weve been to exotic aquatic but it seems very dirty to me... I have pretty high standards though so perhaps thats being unfair

aquaknight

If you guys like smaller/family shops, you have to check out Reefs Edge in Davie. Have either of you been to Beverly's Pets? Either the one in Pembroke Pines, or Pets Unlimited in Coral Springs?
Those 3 with Barrier, Exotic, and Al's made up my weekend rounds. I used to live in Deerfield, before school.

adee

i dont like Beverlys in pem pines at all, their salt collection stinks and they too over price and usually have unhealthy looking stock.. where is that store in davie?

nemo22

You guys are luck you live so close to the ocean, and that you can get good deals on stuff. i get tired of paying out the ...!

aquaknight

Originally Posted by ADEE
http:///forum/post/3175079
i dont like Beverlys in pem pines at all, their salt collection stinks and they too over price and usually have unhealthy looking stock.. where is that store in davie?
Reefs Edge is on Orange Dr, east of the Turnpike in Davie, can't find it on google, shoot me a PM. Semi tricky to find. I can't say about recently as it's been well over a year since I've been to Bev's, but that stinks. Their prices, on fish at least, were always good. Back in the 90's, that's all we used to go to. What I liked about them is that they always seemed to have a bit different stuff then the rest of the LFSs. Wasn't just clowns and yellow tangs. I guess that's why I like Exotic Aquatic too, they usually have something interesting, like Als', but unlike Al's, they're usually healthy....