College

salty tank

how many people here went or are going to college? I dont know yet, i wanna go to get a degree and get a good job but i suck at high school as it is. Most colleges want you to take 2-3 yrs of foriegn language but i failed french2 sophmore year and didnt retake it cause i cant sit in a classroom and learn another language in a book. Anyone got advice? Im also in most of the easy classes too which looks bad for college. Is it possible to do bad in high school, go to community college for a few yrs (hopefully get my sh*t together and do good) and transfer to a real college even with the bad high school grades?

mryoung7

it's not too late to go to a great college. i hated the busy work of high school so i had terrible grades. but a great sat score and a killer application essay got me into baylor right out of high school, where i just graduated from. you can do the junior college thing to increase your chances and many universities also offer a sort of probationary period, where you're allowed to enroll but if you don't have a certain gpa and hours by 3, 6, or 12 months in, you're gone.
also, there are some university tracks that don't require a foreign language, although i think it's a shame to go through college without learning another language.
in my opinion, high school really isn't important to anything you want to do later on so don't get discouraged. the curriculum is usually equally irrelevant.

millerman

same I am in college about to grad. with a safety engineering degree Did not so great in high school. Never taken a foreign language. So yes it can be done. Just dont over load yourself with classes. University want you to take 18 hrs of classes a semester but i have found that i can do better with the 12-15 range.
Dont give up it may take a little longer but when you walk to get the diploma you know it was worth it.

phixer

Originally Posted by salty tank
how many people here went or are going to college? I dont know yet, i wanna go to get a degree and get a good job but i suck at high school as it is. Most colleges want you to take 2-3 yrs of foriegn language but i failed french2 sophmore year and didnt retake it cause i cant sit in a classroom and learn another language in a book. Anyone got advice? Im also in most of the easy classes too which looks bad for college. Is it possible to do bad in high school, go to community college for a few yrs (hopefully get my sh*t together and do good) and transfer to a real college even with the bad high school grades?
What field are you interested in? Absolutely its possible, I did lousy in HS but still managed to get my degree while in the military, just needed time to grow up. The advice from the previous post regarding course load is very good. The degree will unlock some doors but the vicious circle is the experience dilema. Must have experience to get the job, must have job to get experience.
Yes there are other ways, like volunteering part time.
If you have a college degree, you can be sure of one thing. You have a college degree!

shogun323

I didnt go to college and I am doing quite well for myself. But... here's the deal. I am thirty now and if I could roll back the clock I would go and get a degree in engineering. Are degrees necessary to be successful? No, but they sure help and why limit yourself?

sepulatian

It is absolutely possible. You can go to a community college, work hard and get a high GPA. Once your GPA is high, that is the mark the next college is going to be looking at, not your HS grades. I know, I did it.

jhill5

I see you are in Ohio, as an OSU grad my advise would be to go to Columbus State for 2 years and then transfer to OSU.
GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanos

Go ahead and apply to some 4 year colleges but also to some 2 year colleges. Kick some but on the sat's and on the essay part of the college applications. Once you go to college and get a degree nobody can take that from you. It opens up doors to entry level jobs and to a masters degree. The stats indicate that people with college degrees make more money than people with highschool diplomas. I forgot the exact numbers but you could go a google search. Good Luck,

salty tank

thanks for all the help. I didnt take the practice SATs, and i dont think i can. I guess i will give the SATs a shot but, not to be down on myself, i most likely wont do well from what my teachers have told me about the test. I passed all the Ohio Graduation Tests (OGTs) with advanced scores except for in writing. But im sure the OGT is nothin like the SAT. the school system sucks!

fgcu14

what many people don't know is that if you get an AA degree any public state university has to accept you. That's the way it is in Florida anyway.

K

klarissot

My answer is yes! Your employment and your future salary will depend on a quality education.
The main thing is to choose the direction that you like.