colored angler

aw2

Originally Posted by anthropo
i read that article too, aparently you don't know everything

Have you ever kept ANY species of angler? If so, please provide scientific name, habitat, filtration, feeding, etc. that you had.
You can talk on and on and on and on about "I know this"..."I read that"..."I've seen this and that". Until you've kept one and know what you're talking about, dont come to me with "I read this in an article". I've kept many species of this fish and know just about every in and out about them. Believe what you will. Get some first hand knowledge and the come back and speak to me.

cartman101

Originally Posted by AW2
The reason they should be kept in species only tanks is either they'll eat the other tank mates or, the other tank mates will out compete the Angler for food, because they dont move very fast.
So, yes...if you dont want to end up with a picked on, malnurished Angler, they need to be kept in species only tanks.
mine never did. Mine was in with 2 eels and the angler was the 1st one to grab the food.

guineawhop

Originally Posted by AW2
Have you ever kept ANY species of angler? If so, please provide scientific name, habitat, filtration, feeding, etc. that you had.
You can talk on and on and on and on about "I know this"..."I read that"..."I've seen this and that". Until you've kept one and know what you're talking about, dont come to me with "I read this in an article". I've kept many species of this fish and know just about every in and out about them. Believe what you will. Get some first hand knowledge and the come back and speak to me.
i have had an angler, not sure of the scientific name but it was called a black angler in the fish store, i had to get rid of it because it ate a fish at least 3 times it's size, so maybe that article was true and you are just being stubborn and trying to make yourself seem like the fish expert.

aw2

Originally Posted by guineawhop
i have had an angler, not sure of the scientific name but it was called a black angler in the fish store, i had to get rid of it because it ate a fish at least 3 times it's size, so maybe that article was true and you are just being stubborn and trying to make yourself seem like the fish expert.

Damn...you found me out! I've been busted!
Considering the fact that you're the type of person to buy such a demanding type of fish, without knowing what species, tank requirements, etc. etc., you're credibility means nothing to me. Sorry.
Just about every species of Angler comes in a "black" coloration...so, "Black Angler" could be one of about 50 different species.

anthropo

Originally Posted by AW2
Just about every species of Angler comes in a "black" coloration...so, "Black Angler" could be one of about 50 different species.
actually the species Antennarius commersoni is called the black angler, but who cares if someone doesn't know the scientific name. also most anglers need pretty much the same setup, sufficient amount of live rock in a tank 30 gallons or larger. substrate is up to the owner. you shouldn't jump on someone because they don't know the scientific name. this also does not mean they don't know how to take care of the fish. i'm sure you've had hitchhikers come in on your liverock that are doing good that you don't know the scientific name.

my way

Never heard AW to give bad advice myself. He is a stickler when it comes to taking care of certain fish. If you've spent any time reading his posts you would know that he knows what he is talking about. Do I agree with all of his opinions. No, but then again I might have different plans than he does for my occupants. You can't tell me you believe everything you read in a magazine. If we all did that we'd be in trouble. Just my $.02

sunrays

Guys....lets think rationally about this one for just one second.....eat something 4 times their size???? I don't think so.... Let's say the angler is 4 inches long ....that would mean it could eat a fish that was potentially 16 inches long....NO WAY... :hilarious
AW2, of all the anglers you have kept what % were difficult to get eating? Also, what mortality rate did you experience? I have an above the Reef 33gal refugium that I am thinking of putting an oddball like a frogfish.... :thinking:

aw2

Originally Posted by anthropo
actually the species Antennarius commersoni is called the black angler, but who cares if someone doesn't know the scientific name. also most anglers need pretty much the same setup, sufficient amount of live rock in a tank 30 gallons or larger. substrate is up to the owner. you shouldn't jump on someone because they don't know the scientific name. this also does not mean they don't know how to take care of the fish. i'm sure you've had hitchhikers come in on your liverock that are doing good that you don't know the scientific name.
That's odd, because any Commersons you see, whether it be in the wild, or in a store are various colors...but not very many black ones. I've seen just about every species of Angler referred to as "Black Angler". I've also seen "Various Angler", "Orange Angler", "Green Angler" "Assorted Angler"...you get my point. I wasnt knocking the guy because he didnt know the scientific name...but, without doing some research and finding out, he could have a Pictus or he could have a Commersons or any number of other species. You need to study and get pics of the esca and illicium. Even experts have a hard time identifying species sometimes. It sometimes comes down to one Anglers "rod" being a few milimeters longer than anothers, or one's "lure" being bushy while the other is worm like.
Now, I dont know about anyone else, but I'd want to know if I had a Commersons or not, considering the fact they get bigger than 12" and you could feed them kittens, among other things.
Originally Posted by Sunrays

AW2, of all the anglers you have kept what % were difficult to get eating? Also, what mortality rate did you experience? I have an above the Reef 33gal refugium that I am thinking of putting an oddball like a frogfish.... :thinking:
My experiance is that it really depends on the fish. I've had Striatus that took to eating frozen within a week, while other took months. My purple Commersons, in the pic above, took over 4 months to get to eating frozen. He did for a while and then refused again and never went back to frozen foods.
Mortality depends on tank conditions. As stated, they're very, very sensitive to nitrAtes and copper. They're very messy fish, meaning they crap alot. Since they swallow prey whole, you dont get alot of chewed up fish, but they'll crap ALOT.
33gal. would be good for just about any species, besides Commersons. Low water movement and a good protien skimmer are a must.

anthropo

Originally Posted by Sunrays
Guys....lets think rationally about this one for just one second.....eat something 4 times their size???? I don't think so.... Let's say the angler is 4 inches long ....that would mean it could eat a fish that was potentially 16 inches long....NO WAY... :hilarious
he was saying somethin he read in the past, i too read the same article. if it isn't true then i'd say email the magazine.