colored carpet anemone

would 160 watts of no be enough for this creature.I have enough room in my diy canopy for another double ballast,that would push me up to 240. my spectrums are (2)10,000 and (2) 6,500. thanx to all.

sonny

Not likely. Large anemones like carpets and ritteri's need metal halide lighting to survive. They will do better with higher wattage MH, like 250 or 400 watt. These anemones have algae inside that need the high light to survive. I don't recommend purchasing one unless you are willing to give it what it needs. They can be a real problem in a reef tank too, since they move all over the tank (trying to get more light), sometimes bulldozing corals that are in the way. I believe that it's best to keep these beautiful creatures in a tank designed just for anemones (and some clownfish!). I saw a zoo once that had a very large ritteri anemone with clownfish, and some lower light corals that were at the bottom of the tank, and the anemone was at the very top of the tank near the light. The tank was about 3 feet cubed. The animals looked healthy though.
Sonny

mr . salty

My opinion is,that much light over a 55 would surly be enough.I have kept LARGE HEALTHY carpets under less.Even now I dont have that many watts over my tank(490 watts over a 130),and both anemones(carpets) are doing great.I havn't actually fed them in over six months,so this must be enough light to make mine happy.Although my setup contains two 175 watt 10000k MH,I done think MH is actually needed.As long as the wattage and spectrum is right...

alianated

I agree with Salty..
Sometimes people get MH crazy and forget that some of us have tanks under 24" deep and under 75 gallons. hehe
I will be the first to say that an MH set up with tons of light is by far the most amazing to look at.
But if a tank is small all you are going to do is boil fish. lol.. ok maybe its not that serious, but the point would be that if your tank isnt that big, and you have good wattage in the form of PCs, VHOs, and NOs, then you should be fine.
Personally, if I ever decide to go with an MH, Im going to look into a bigger tank first. Its kind of like putting up Stadium Lights the size of a baseball stadium's over your back yard... thats just my opinion.
However, I have heard cases (could be wrong here) of carpets running around stinging the heck outta everything in their path. This may have only been a certain kind. Or I could have the name wrong but I thought it was carpets that can sting something nasty as they run around your tank finding a suitable place.