colt coral

flyinbrian

Hello
I have a 50 gallon tank with compact lighting and prizm skimmer a couple small filters and about 40 pounds live rock. My question involves my recently purchased colt coral. I brought it home and found a place that it could grow onto a rock and then noticed many gashes out of its base and appears that some of the ends are almost like disinegrating. I add essential elements to imprvove water quality. I have no inhabitants that would pick at this coral there are presently no fish and some inverts.
Any help would be great

rockster

I had the same experience with one of my leathers, a portion of its base was disintegrating and I was seeing some spicules falling off. I left the coral alone thinking if it's going to die, it will no matter what I do. It kept opening daily and the base healed on its own, actually the base attached to a new rock when it healed. I hope the same thing happens to yours. ;)

kris walker

Hi Flyinbryan,
I had a similar experience with a tree leather, but I took it back before I thought it would die. I think the question you should try to answer if you haven't already is "when did the damage occur?" If it occurred at the lfs, then it might easily heal in your tank (new environment, no danger). If it happened in your tank on its own, then odds are it is still in danger of being damaged more. If you can't narrow it down to when it happened, I would just keep a really close eye on it. If it happened at the LFS, then you can chance it and hope it heals, or take it back for an exchange or credit.
just my 0.04,
kris

flyinbrian

it was not in this condition when I bought it
all tank levels are optimum and tank cycling for 3 months
I am pretty sure i damaged it when trying to find a place on a rock for it. Therefore I dont think it is the water conditions.
ps what is LFS(local fish store?)

cyn

Yes, LFS is local fish store. See the thread in the archives called "Slang Assistance" for the alot of common abbreviations.
You said the tank is cycling for 3 months? Has the cycle completed? If not, return the coral and wait it out. If it has cycled, ie. ammonia, nitrite 0 and trates low, then keep a close eye on the colt. You mention the branches are deterorating too, not just the base. This concerns me. Make sure there is good water flow around the coral. Is it opening up at all? If so, you might try some phytoplankton(DT's is what I use). Feeding it can not hurt if it is opening. The coral needs a little more than just light and essential elements to survive. Many corals, as you know filter feed, and my experience has been that DT's is a good choice.
What else is in the tank? There may be something in there that you have not seen that is detrimental to corals.
HTH,
cyn

flyinbrian

yes the cycle has completed.
It is opened up in most parts and It looks good where it has opened. I had some day hatched brine shrimp and put them in there thinking it would filter feed off them. I also have astrea snails a small fiddler I recently spotted and some blue legs.

kris walker

I would tend to agree, unless you absolutely know you were the cause of the damage when you moved it.
kris