Colt Coral

mrdc

Well I did it again. I went to the LFS to talk about selling them my old halide unit and I left with a huge colt coral. At the time, my recollection on this type of coral was that they like high light and moderate water current but are relatively easy to keep. I did some research online when I got home and some places state that they there care level is moderate and some show easy. Those of you that have one or have had one, what was your experience like?

scopus tang

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3239452
Well I did it again. I went to the LFS to talk about selling them my old halide unit and I left with a huge colt coral. At the time, my recollection on this type of coral was that they like high light and moderate water current but are relatively easy to keep. I did some research online when I got home and some places state that they there care level is moderate and some show easy. Those of you that have one or have had one, what was your experience like?
Easy, provided you have adequate lights - never could keep one under PC lighting. After awhile they start dropping "babies" around the tank, and sometimes you can trade or sell the offspring.

mrdc

Thanks. I have halides and it is placed pretty high in the tank so I think it will have adequate light.

wfd1008

I had one for several years under PC lighting and it did great. I got another not too long ago and it's doing good under PC.

S

saxman

the specimen i kept was under 220W of PC in a std 55 gal. they grow BIG and FAST if they like your tank. another thing is they are pretty bad in terms of allelopathy if you have any similar corals such as leathers. if so, make sure the colt is "downstream" from them and a decent distance away.

mattyp75

I have one that's reached weed status under 4X96w PC's. When it gets too big I just cut it off at the base with a pair of scissors. I sell/ trade frags and it comes back from the stump. I also have a neon green finger leather going strong in the same tank. The things that make em mad are... too much current and they tend to get stung rather than sting. I've found babies off of the huge colt that have tumbled into very low light situations and have attached and seem happy.