Combing chemicals

Jerry4250

any problem with combining stress coat with paragard in my 30 gal. Saltwater quarantine
Tank?....treating blonde naso 7-8 inches and Aussie Tusk 5-6 inches for fin rot.

lmforbis

I don't know what's in para guard but you have to be very careful adding things like stress coat to other additives. Sometimes the chemicals result in something toxic. This is especially true of ammonia and chlorine detoxifiers which I believe stress coat is.

Jerry4250

Yes, stress coat, is a chlorine detoxifier. What is your feelings on using para-guard for fin fungus? I will contact seachem for their professional advise concerning mixing the two. Thanx for your input.

lmforbis

I think you'd be better of with kanaplex or metronidazole. Fin rot is probably bacterial not parasitic is more likely to respond to an antibiotic. Although It could be secondary to a parasitic infection. Not all parasites are killed by the same meds so it is important to know what you are dealing with I'd also male sure the tank water is pristine and add a vitamin supplemrpent to the food like Selcon.

Jerry4250

we put all new arrivals in a quarantine tank. Upon arrival, they all seemed healthy ( no fin rot) but didn't eat. After a few days of acclimating to the tank we treat all new arrivals with prazipro. After completing the prazipro quarantine, they all began to eat and we noticed the choirs wrasse had fin rot on his pec. We did a 50% water change and I was not around for two days.....had no choice. The choirs was a lot worse, the naso had some on her pec and the tusk had some on his tail. The wrasse got progressively worse quick in 2 days and dropped. We then did a saltwater dip with para guard with the naso and tusk. They both didn't respond well. We reintroduced them back to the quarantine tank. After a few days with no meds, they began eatting again. The tusk ate frozen shrimp and the naso nori.....any idea what the cause of the fin rot was?... The specs on nitrate, nitrites, ammonia, ph, temperature.....are great. They are all swimming and have some appetite. The naso, after the dip, got a patch on her side, like a little,lighter than her normal color., about an inch round. It is not peeling or slimey. She did not have it before the dip and it is not progressing....we did introduce para guard today. So within the last two weeks they were given prazipro and now para guard. We will see if there is any improvement tomorrow.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to take an educated guess and say they are picking on each other. What size is your quarantine tank? How fish did you put in to it?

Can you post some good digital pictures of the fin problem?

bang guy

If there is more than one fish in a tank then there can be aggression. I'm not saying that's the issue here but a bunch of fish in a small tank doesn't make it unlikely.

Beth has been around a bit, she's been pretty good with identifying issues and how to resolve them.

Jerry4250

DEFINITELY... no aggression. Lost a choris wrasse. Once the fin rot was present, in three days....dead!.
Same with a harlequin tusk. Was doing well. Swimming, eatting...broke out with fin rot, in three or so days....dead!
Tank was being treated with cupramine, then prazipro....couldn't save them.
Was going to use a gram negative, like karacyn...but didn't get the chance. Thought cu and prazi would have done the trick......

Jerry4250

Thanx!... when I returned to the store where I purchased them, they apparently we're having a problem. Some tanks were empty, two large skimmers running but I couldn't prove it was his fault. Whatever it was, was very aggressive. It wasn't velvet. But, it was as deadly as a fish with advanced velvet....tough to save. That's why you need a quarantine tank. Some friends, just do a freshwater dip and put the fish into the main tank....big mistake!

Jerry4250

Just read a previous post by inforbis. He possibly hit the nail on the head. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.