Compatibility Help

Ok, here's the deal. I have a vtail grouper and a coral catshark in my 150 tank. I just wanted to know if it would be ok to put an orange starfish in the tank. Will the grouper or the shark try to eat it? The starfish is a big, each leg is probably about 5-6 inches long. I saw tonight and it looks really good and I was given a great price. It was listed for $40 and the guy said he would give it to me for $15. Thanks for any information given.

hillius31

Originally Posted by gonefishcrazy
http:///forum/post/2513833
Ok, here's the deal. I have a vtail grouper and a coral catshark in my 150 tank. I just wanted to know if it would be ok to put an orange starfish in the tank. Will the grouper or the shark try to eat it? The starfish is a big, each leg is probably about 5-6 inches long. I saw tonight and it looks really good and I was given a great price. It was listed for $40 and the guy said he would give it to me for $15. Thanks for any information given.
I sent you a PM. Its a link to a SW fish compatibility Chart.
Justin

ophiura

A warning that "orange starfish" is not descriptive enough and it may starve depending on species. many are really only suitable for large reef tanks with a lot of LR. This is true if it is an Orange Linckia star.
Water quality, which can suffer in FOWLR can also be an issue. Specific gravity must really be no lower than 1.024 but ideally it should be 1.026

Sorry, the name the LFS had it listed is hawaiian orange knobby star fish even though it doesn't look like the knobby on swf. My tank salinity level is .026 and every thing is at 0 and ph is 8.3 . Thanks for info.

I got the starfish. I can't figure out which one it is. It looks like a linckia but it's not as smooth as the linckia. He's doing fine. The groupers are not messing with him.