compatibility??

fishguy83

Argh! I try to trust my LFS but I think I'm starting to learn I cannot.
So I finally had a survivor - a Yellow-tailed blue damsel. Since he was doing well I wandered down to the fish store and made an impulse buy, I know I shouldn't have, but just wanted to get something more in my tank. Wasn't completely an impulse buy because it was on my stock-list for my tank. Anyways, I bought a Purple Pseudochromis. Well - acclimation went well. Fish seemed to get along well, except at night, the PP would go after the damsel. During the day, they didn't seem to bother each other much.
I've been waiting for a cleaner shrimp, but my LFS hasn't been able to get them, I brought home a coral-banded shrimp. Everything continued to be fine, but today when I fed I spot fed the shrimp because I noticed he didn't get much food the last time.. well this began it all.
The CBS was in the a cave so I dropped a chunk of food in front of him and he eventually came out and was happy, eating it. The PP after feeding tried to get to the food near the CBS, but he wasn't having it. The damsel just swam around liek usual, didn't care what the CBS and PP was doing. The PP kept bugging the CBS, but he stood up to him, and the PP eventually gave up, I think. But when the CBS was done eating, he began to move and the war broke out. The PP went after the CBS and he fought back, no contact really, just agression. Well as the CBS moved to the top of the rock, the damsel got involved and went after the shrimp, and nipped off a piece of his antenna. Then the PP and damsel were going after each other. Things seemed to have calmed down now, but was wondering -- are what I have not compatible? I knew the damsel might be agressive, but actually the PP is more agressive. I figured I would probably return the damsel once I considered other fish, but wanted to see how the damsel and PP would be together.
Is the CBS not a good idea? Can I add clownfish now that the PP seems to be pretty territorial and agressive? I guess I should have added him last....
Just was hoping for some information on CBS and their compability in a tank, and also the PP, since the damsel might be going back, but maybe after this discussion, the PP may be as well.
And please, no flaming, I did make an impulse buy, which is wrong, I acknowledge that, LFS said everything would be OK together, unless the damsel gets aggresive, and to watch them and he offered to take back the damsel if so...Just wondering if I'm goign on the wrong track with a peaceful community tank, with the center of the tank being the two false percula clowns...

glowplug

you could try moving your rocks around, that would get rid of any established territory and cause everyone to go new home shoping, they might chill out for a little while at least

stanlalee

everything is going just like they are suppose to with that livestock. False perculas wont stand a chance in hell getting dumped in there. You probably needed to put those in first but eventually a damsel and psuedochromis will pick on them anyway. you probably have to give them up if you want some truly non aggressive fish like royal grammas, clown gobys and false percs.

fishguy83

thanks - i figured damsel would have to go, but I guess I didn't realize how aggressive the pseudochromis would be...
Well I'll leave these guys alone for awhile and look for a home for them (I think fish store will take them back but I'm a little worried what will happen, if they'll sell, or just destroy???)
Alyssia, Your purple killed your shrimp? Was it coral-banded? The shrimp is a decent size and looks like he can hold its own, but maybe not??

alyssia

Originally Posted by fishguy83
thanks - i figured damsel would have to go, but I guess I didn't realize how aggressive the pseudochromis would be...
Well I'll leave these guys alone for awhile and look for a home for them (I think fish store will take them back but I'm a little worried what will happen, if they'll sell, or just destroy???)
Alyssia, Your purple killed your shrimp? Was it coral-banded? The shrimp is a decent size and looks like he can hold its own, but maybe not??

He killed my fire shrimp and peppermints. I know it was him, I actually saw him "stalk" and kill my fire shrimp.

fishguy83

thanks for the chart, but it lists clowns, pseudochromis, and damsels, along with inverts, all green (compatible) -- and from what everyone has told me and what I'm finding out, they should at least be in the yellow (with caution) as they are all aggresive fish, somewhat.