Complete Tank Build for 75 g, sump, refugium, & side cabinet

D

dennis210

Well let's see - where to start? A fellow buddy and salt creep really wanted to get rid of his crushed coral base and replace it with a DSB. His wife had always worried about the old used stand the system was sitting on. So I mentioned if the sand bed was going to get changed the tank would have to be emptied anyway so what did he want for a stand? Next thing I knew we were chatting about what he needed. We started developing a plan and finally said let's stop designing for the tank and start thinking about the sump, refugium, cannister filtration, lighting, etc. So we decided to go with a 29 gallon sump, a 10 gallon refugium, under a 75 gallon tank, with a light fixture to support two 400 watt MH's with reflector and remote ballast, sliding doors in hood for simple access and easy removal, a side stand that would hold the cannister filter, ballast, and two 2.5 gallon dripping jugs for his automated drip system. The whole would be framed in wood with the lower sections wrapped in vinyl wayne's coating, while the top have would be skinned in 1/4" plywood (changed to melomene board), and then once built all be painted white. The white would fit the family decor and the wayne's coating around base would go with plan for room where system sits.
Here's the first pic's -
Work area set up for chop saw, table saw, drum sander, plywood cutting, & tool stations (all inside my door spraybooth so we could use space heaters to heat it more than shop - -5 to -15 each day outside BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

D

dennis210

Next individual pieces were ripped to 3" on table saw - did this as shorter legths to feed through saw and lousy lumber not as bad to deal with!

D

dennis210

The next step was to run everything through the drum sander to make it smooth and dimensional down to 1 3/8".

D

dennis210

Now the top railing to hide tank banding was applied and a shelf for the 10 gal refugium was added

D

dennis210

We had added the bottom piece of plywood to the back as a stiffener and will place one on the back upper portion as well. I want to be able to make sure his wife never worries again about a stand collapse (there have been two here in town with factory made stands!)
As I wind down this first posting spree I'll show the hood with sliding doors, it's made to drop over the tank and hide the top banding.

D

dennis210

Okay I now here my family beginning to get up and moving - have to go!
Merry Christmas to all!
Will post more this coming Monday when the side stand is done, the coverings and trim have been applied, and it's all ready to prime and paint.

C

cmaxwell39

Great start Dennis. One thing I did notice is that in the pictures showing an end view of the stand it appear that the top of the stand is not flat all the way across but rather is high in the middle and lower on each side. Is this just an optical illusion due the picture or is the stand actually crowned like that?

D

dennis210

Just an optical illusion. I can lay a level over it. Tomorrow will get going again.

C

cmaxwell39

Thought it probably was, it just looked weird in the picture. Very nice start. His wife will never have to worry about that stand collasping.

D

dennis210

Finished stand, hood, & side cabinet today. Building doors tomorrow and then into spray booth. Will post more pics of progress tomorrow. Next week
start on sump and refugium!

D

dennis210

Okay I have time to update - yesterday we were able to apply coverings to stand (the vinyl coated wayne's coating to bottom and melomene ply to upper) and then apply trim.
Remember now - the wood you see between the hood and stand is simply a wood mock up of the tank!

D

dennis210

System / site slow today - uploading files keeps taking forever!!!!
Today we built the doors, attached them and the handles, and filled all the joints.

D

dennis210

Just for showing some of the detail Tim picked out. The haedware and trim really pop!

D

dennis210

Left the shop tonight knowing tomorrow we were going to have to take off the doors and hardware, sand doors, caulk back edges of doors, disassemble the stand, hood, & cabinet and place in spray booth, hang the doors in booth and double prime!
Next week will be the final paint and working on the sump and refugium. Hoping to install next weekend! Will get to sleep then! Going for the evening toddy - BBFN!

str8salt

Dennis these pics are great. The pics of the trim really show the details. I still think that beyond the beauty of the tank it is totally functional. It gits me wound up thinking about having it up and running next week. I will definatly have to post some pics. I wish I hadn't lost my acro colonies. The reef just won't show as well as in its hayday but maybe the stand will overpower it. Thanks again