Completed Cycle??

paige

I figured I had better post my own thread for help instead of adding to someone elses.
My tank was set up on 12-28. I added 3 damsels on 12-31. I posted the other night about adding the Tomato Clown. Someone suggested that I try and take it back to the lfs where I got it. My husband was totally against that so I need to do anything I can to prevent losing it. So far it's doing just fine. I know most people are against chemicals but is there anything that I can do/add to help my situation. The only test kit that I have is the dip strips that was recommended by the sales person who assured me that was all I would need for starting out.

elfdoctors

Did the dip sticks ever show detectable ammonia and nitrites? The dip sticks are better for a quick check for an established tank rather then a brand new tank.
The cycle usually takes 3-4 weeks. Some people will cycle with damsels as they are quite hardy and can survive ammonia and nitrite levels which can kill most other fish. After these levels have gone up and then became undetectable you can predict that the cycle has finished.
You may have a mini-cycle each time you add a fish. 4 fish in a tank that young is a lot. I would not add anything for 2-4 weeks minimum and perhaps only a clean up crew at that time. I would also try to feed them very lightly. Too much food could produce more ammonia then the lightly cycled tank can handle.
Did you add cured live rock? This may have blunted the cycle so that you managed not to kill your fish. A proper cycle will ensure that beneficial bacteria will spread to all the other surfaces in your tank (e.g. filter and substrate).
Are you quarantining your fish? This is a helpful step if you would like to avoid posting about diseased fish in the future.
Welcome to the boards!

I

ivanfj

Frist of all, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!

For a completely cycled tank, I would say:
ph 8.3
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate less than 20ppm
Hmmm, try to convince your husband to return your fish to your LFS. The damsels are probably going to survive through the cycle and it would be tough later on to add new fish into your tank since they are some pretty good a$$. They tend to be very territorical. I would net them out first before adding anymore fish. If your tomato clown survive for another week or two, probably he/she will make it through as well. But once again, 3 damsels and 1 tomato clown, you are going to have some tough time introducing other fish to them. Even a small tomato is gonna be very aggressive toward other new fishy. HTH

cprdnick

You don't necessarily have to get your money back on the clown. A respectable LFS will hold fish for you rather than see you come in to buy another one because they sold it to you before your tank had cycled.
First thing is first, go buy a different test kit. Even if it is just an Aquarium Pharmecutical test kit, it will give you some accurate readings as far as telling where your cycle is.

paige

I took a sample of water to the lfs and had it tested today. They said everything looks really good right now. The ph was running a bit low but the 'expert' that runs the place told me that it was probably because I am in the middle of the cycle.
I don't have any live rock in there yet. Is it difficult to deal with? I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew from the start, but it looks like I am too anxious already with the Clown. I was also told that the Tomato Clown is a pretty docile fish.
We haven't set up a quarantine tank yet. I have a small 5 1/2 gal. tank that's not being used. Is that too small to use for that?
How long does a fish need to stay in that tank before adding to the main one?
Thanks for the welcome. I have learned more in the few days that I have been coming to this forum than I have the whole time at the lfs.