Complicated Lighting Question.

C

civileng68

Ok, I have a 29 gallon tank with PC lighting (2 X 65 = 130 Watts) with Live Rock and some other fish and stuff. However, I started making a reef aquarium now and added a small soft coral near the top of the live rock. It is doing great!
However for some hard corals I was told at my fish store that I needed Metal Halide. However with my 29 gallon tank, it's nearly IMPOSSIble to find fixtures that are 30" long.
So I got to reading and studying this. I found that on a website it said that Metal Halide is not needed, even in a reef aquarium if it is less than 20" deep (mine is 18") and provided that you have ample wattage (I have 4.5 watts/gallon).
So, can someone tell me if this is true?
Also, if I DO still need to get a Metal Halide, would something like a small 175 watt metal Halide Hanging fixture work along with my PC system? I can move the PC light hood more towards the front of the tank and easily allow a smaller 175 watt hanging MH light with refractor to have ample working space. Would this be something that could work?

airforceb2

That would definately work. Also, you can look at Lowes...they have 75W Halide lights for $95 including a pendant and ballast. You just have to do a little wiring.
However, I would say your PC is enough lighting as long as your corals are in the upper half of the tank.

C

civileng68

Originally Posted by airforceb2
That would definately work. Also, you can look at Lowes...they have 75W Halide lights for $95 including a pendant and ballast. You just have to do a little wiring.
However, I would say your PC is enough lighting as long as your corals are in the upper half of the tank.

Thanks,
Are yous aying just "halid" or "metal Halide"? What specifically do I need to look for? Are their variations of halides?

C

civileng68

I found at Home Depot a
70 Watt Metal halide
and a
175 watt metal halide.
With my already 135 watts of PC lighting, should I really go with the 175 watt? If I need to I will. I really want sufficient lighting to be able to grow hard corals.
Also, how should I wire it? I mean, how do I wire it up and from what source?

C

civileng68

If I get one of those lights, can it be wired with a wall plug? I mean, can I just buy a wall plug end and wire the light to it? Otherwise I wont be able to do it.
Just in case I wanted to make the huge investment. Is there someplace online maybe that sells 30" MH fixtures?

airforceb2

I'm not too sure about the wiring. I would imagine it would have a three wire set-up and you could splice it with a three prong plug. No promises though...they may run on 240V?? I have never done it before...just saw the lights a lot cheaper there.
I have never seen 30" fixtures but I'm sure they are out there. You might want to check out the auction site...not much they don't have.

ebeckels

Go to your local electrical distributor to find the right fixture. They are a lot better then a large home center and have much more knowledgeable employees. A 70w MH is not much light. I don't think there is such a thing of a 75w mh.

airforceb2

You are right...they are all 70W. My bad.
Keep in mind this is only a 29 gallon tank. 70W of MH supplemented with 135W PC is plenty of light IMO.