computer people.....

jimmy g

My computer I got a couple months ago has a broken sound card I think. The sound that comes out of the speakers is like a 3 year old is singing it and it skips. But when I put the songs onto a cd and play them on the sterio in my room they sound great so I know its not the songs......My question is this, If it is the sound card can I just switch it with my old computer and put my old sound card in my new computer?
I dont know if this matters but my old computer is bare....There isnt anything on it. and my new comp has windows XP.
Please respond a.s.a.p before I switch them I mess somthing up.

C

chev32

ys u can just switch them out but u have to intsall the new one with the cd that it comes with i had to do it iwth my old omcputer it is very easy

nw2sltfsh

are you sure it is your sound card and not an issue with too many processes running and taking over the player that your using?

jimmy g

I am pretty sure its the sound card, it is a new computer so there isnt many programs on it. I think I will just go and buy a new one because I dont have the CD to install it.

bradttu

<

[hr]
99.9999999% sure it's not the sound card. Lots of new computers come with audio software that can adjust your audio output like the sound, tempo, pitch, etc. Try downloading a short video with sound and see what happens. I'm willing to bet that the audio will be fine. You can go to www.compfused.com and download some funny video just to try it out.
Good luck.
EDIT - What player are you using? Probably Windows Media Player? If so, that's a huge memory hog. Try using something else. I've been using WINAMP for about 5 or 6 years. Best of all, it's free. http://www.winamp.com/

mukiwa

Have you updated your drivers? You should do that also if you change cards... and I don't think Windows Media Player uses THAT much memory and CPU usage, on average it uses about 2 CPU and about 7,000K memory which isn't much.

jimmy g

The sound and the video are going at the right speed, its just the sound that is coming from the speakers is all messed up.

jimmy g

Thanks to Mukiwa I updated my drivers from Compaq.com and now the sound is great!
Thank you guys so much!