computer question?

nm reef

I have a older HP running windows ME and recently purchased a new HP system running Windows XP...on the old computer there are numerous files I'd like to send to a cd and transfer them to the new computer. But...I can't seem to figure out how to git my idea done. I can transfer images/pic from the new computer to the old computer...but not the other way around...the old computer has adaptec installed but there seems to be a compatabilty issue.
my question is this...how can I easily transfer images from the old computer to the new? Any help would be appreciated.

brandons

Make sure that on the old computer you are closing the sessions.
Another way you could accomplish this is if you have a network card in both computers you can just transfer using them.... get a crossover cable and plug it into both computers

Y

yae4volcom

You could iether burn them to a cd or buy a usb flashdrive.

sammystingray

In the past, I would just unplug the old hard drive, and plug it in as the slave drive in the new PC. It will be drive D or whatever, and then yoiu just copy files from D to C. I have my old hard drive in the PC right now....still has windows on it for now, but I use it to store my photos in case the new hard drive crashes.

nm reef

"Another way you could accomplish this is if you have a network card in both computers you can just transfer using them.... get a crossover cable and plug it into both computers"
That is the problem...the plan was to install a network card in the old computer and swap info. But it won't accept a card...creates two run time errors that eventually shuts down the computer. Until I get that situation figured out I can't network.
"You could iether burn them to a cd or buy a usb flashdrive."
"prolly stupid question but did you try burning a data cd?"
"Make sure that on the old computer you are closing the sessions."
This may be the source of the problem...yes I have tried to transfer data from the old computer to a CD...and on that computer the data can be read...but when I move to the new one it doesn't work. I do nothing different when going from new to old...that works fine...but going from old to new there is a problem.
The old computer has adaptec CD creator and when a CD from there is in the new computer I get a message to install UDF reader...says its up to date...put still can't read the data on the new computer. So I was wondering if maybe I needed to purchase some sort of CD burning software other than "Adaptec CD creator?
Sammy...I like the sound of your idea...but as some of you know technology gives me headaches and I just don't think that is a viable option for me.Ideally I'd like to network them and basically use the new computer for digital photography and music...and use the old one for the forums here and storage of pics posted on-line...but first I need to figure out why the dang thing won't accept a network card!
Until then I continue to have a serious need to transfer data(primarily pics) from the old computer to the new and that is being a major headache all by itself!!!
:nope:

scotts

NM, first of all I will apologize for what I am about to write. I am somewhat computer literate and somewhat of an idiot.
First of all the moving the hard drive sounds like the way to go. In fact I need to look into how to do that for my old computer. (Thanks for the idea Sammy).
Second to help you out now, if I remember right, when I was trying to make CDs on our old computers the software would ask us what format to write in for the CD. I remember this because it kind of baffled me that it would ask that. I know that there was one option that said it could be read by most CD players. Maybe you could look around Adaptec and see if there is an option for what format to write to the CD. Look at it this way, remember the days when we had Lotus, Excel, Quatro pro.... and the compatability issues between those programs?
I hope this helps, if not you can be the next in the long line to call me an idiot.
Scott

angelofish

Im apologizing in advance if this sounds dumb.If its mostly images.Can you email them to yourself in a big zip file? How about finding a site that would host the files then download them back to yourself. I also saw a program once that allowed you to tranfer files from an old computer to the new one.....Hope this helped.

rich460

if you have xp on the new pc just go to start at the bottom of the left corner and go to programs and then go to accessories then go down to system tools then go down to files and settings transfer wizard and the instructions thats how i got my old files from my old pc.