Computer smart people.....

nm reef

...I have a question....on my old computer running millinium I am tryin' to gefrag my disk and run scan disk...but both will only progress so far then stop and restart. What can I do to help the functions complete?
Come on help a poor old man out...all this high tech stuff drives me friggin' nuts!!!!!:confused:

dzones

there is a program running in the background that you must shut off first. Just hit CTRL + ALT + DEL at the same time to bring up the task box that will show a list of programs running. Systematically turn each one off by clicking on it and doing the "end task" option. kill them all but explorer and your defrag will work fine.

turn off your screen savers and power saving tools for starters. those will cause both scan disk and defrag to stop and restart.

nm reef

I do shut down everything I can...I thought there were certain things that needed to be left open. Can I ctrl/alt/delete everything but explorer?
I'll try that and see what happens.

grovey

your HD may be thrashed but only non essintial parts your OS is probably fine its probably just a few sectors or it could be something running in the background but if you said you shut all that down then my first thought goes back to your HD you may have dust on it

joker_ca

check out cnet.c_m (fill in the rest) alot of time u can download a free and better program to refrag your computer than what MS put in your machine, also why do u want to refrag is your computer is it slowing down or do u do alot of deleting

pwnag3!!

its not re frag... defrag...
You should probably defrag every month.
i do every week but i change files alot.

wwfstyle

NM Reef I had the same problem and I had a couple friends come over (computer nerds) to see if they could fix the problem. They had trouble with it so they both decided that I should reformat my computer. Which I did and EVERYTHING works fine. Just remember to save all on back up disks.

malounsbury

Also, you can reboot the PC, before the Windows ME screen comes up, hit F8 a few times real quick. It will come up with a boot menu. Boot it into safe mode and run your scan disk and defrag program there. Only the essentials load when in safe mode, so things like networking and all are shut off. HTH.

wamp

Get rid of ME and go with XP or 2Kpro (If you can find it)
Other than that, most of the time (as stated) when defrag stops ro starts over, something is running.
The safe mode option would be my first try. If it still hangs, run a check disk and see if you have errors.

someone400

If you have a virus scan program running you might try disabling it while you are running defrag. I know it has caused us some issues.