Concern about phosphates in food?

cjml

I am reading in different posts about phosphates and frozen foods-I feed mostly frozen-formula 1 & 2, squid, emerald, prime reef,mysis and others--I thought that the frozen foods were better then the flake? More nutritious... When you all say they should be rinsed first-rinsed with with regular tap water or tank water? And how does that remove the phosphates? My phos levels were high--I had no idea it might be related to my frozen food..Thanks~~~
ML :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:

promisetbg

The tank should be able to process the phosphates in the food as long as you are'nt overfeeding. Try backing off on feeding. What is your water source? Can you tell a little about your set up? How long set up, what size, how much bio-load,clean-up crew...etc?

cjml

Thankyou~~~I probably do overfeed--we have a 150gal- fair amt of fish-some coral-we use ro/di water- tank has been up 3 1/2 years- levels pretty good(except the phos)we started doing weekly water changes and we seem to have gotten our phos under control finally. :cheer: I just didn't know there was any in the food as well! Thanks for replying!
ML

hatessushi

You might think about getting a phosphate reactor since you have a lot a fish and a good size tank. I have a 90 gallon and hooked one up a little over a week ago and no phosphates now. They are otexpensive either. About $40 plus a small Micro Jet pump or similar aslo as the media.

cjml

Thankyou-we are looking into getting one-we had such a bad algea(sp) growth but did get that all under control with the water changes.
ML