Concerned about new anemone

manderz

I bought a long tentacle anemone about 3 weeks ago, and he looks nice and healthy, except for one thing. He won't attach to anything. He's been just floating around the entire time. When I got him from the lfs, he hadn't been attached to anything either, but he was new to their inventory. Everything I've read about anemones says not to mess with them, and not to move them. So, what should I do for this poor thing?

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/380867/concerned-about-new-anemone#post_3315538
What are your tank stats? Age, parameters, inhabitants? Oh and lighting?
+1
Try and put it in a spot where it can get a chance to attach without geting moved by the current or maybe shut off your pumps for a while and see if it attaches. When they say not to mess with them, its usually because the person wants it in a differant spot than where the anemone chose, in your case its prabably a good idea to move it so it doesnt float into an intake or powerhead and get shredded.

manderz

I've had my 55 gallon tank for a little over 6 months, and I'm not sure how long the person who had it before me had it set up for, though I'm under the impression that it was long-term. Last water test was a few days ago, and looked pretty good, ammonia was 0, nitrites 0, pH between 8.2 and 8.2, nitrites were between 30 and 40, s/g 1.025, and I keep the temp at 77. Lights are nova extreme t5 setup with 4 bulbs, and a friend with much more experience recommended the lights, I believe there's 2 10k and the actinics. I've got 6 fish, 2 false perc clowns, 2 green chromis, a firefish goby, and a mandarin, various cleanup crew, and several coral colonies, and a few frags.
The poor anemone is still roaming, I will try shutting off the power heads for the afternoon and see if that helps him out any. I would really appreciate any additional advice.

hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manderz http:///forum/thread/380867/concerned-about-new-anemone#post_3315754
The poor anemone is still roaming, I will try shutting off the power heads for the afternoon and see if that helps him out any. I would really appreciate any additional advice.
Your tank should be fine for an LTA. Like i said, if it cant get a grip on the rocks, you might need to put it where it can anchor to the rock without getting disturbed, it shoudnt take long. Dont leave your tank without any circulation for too long or oxygen will start to get depleted. Good luck

flower

Cover your power heads...use fllter material and sew it on with clear fish line..no needle just thread it through the mesh.

manderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380867/concerned-about-new-anemone#post_3316012
nitrites are really hight you say 30 to 40!!!!!!
I would love some advice on lowering them, if you have any to offer. I've been reading all the other threads on how to lower them, and didn't see the point of making yet another one. I've been trying to lower my nitrates, obviously rather unsuccessfully, for a long time. My substrate is a mix of crushed coral and sand (it was like that when I got the set up tank used from someone else.) I have about 50-55 pounds of live rock. I change 5-8 gallons of water a week, and I have the water turning over about 18 1/2 times an hour. I don't have access to a ro/di unit.

levinjac

Nitrates could be lowered by getting cuc what cuc do you have again i used to have no snails and my nitrates were always 20 then i get 5 snails it lowers down to 10 its back up at 20 now so i do a water change when it gets high do you have an algee problem i would do a water change

manderz

I have a dozen nerite snails, around a dozen hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 5 bumblebee snails, a brittle star, and 3 large turbos, and not sure if they count as clean up or not, but I have 2 feather dusters and a coco worm. No algea problems, and I'm already doing weekly water changes.

manderz

I've never even heard of reseeding the sand before. I'd honestly like to get rid of what I have, and go for all live sand, but that's a huge project that I'm really scared of.

scopus tang

CUC has no direct impact on nitrate levels. Only things that affects nitrate levels are consumption by plants (hence the recommended use of macroalgaes in a refugium), bacteria conversion into nitrogen gas (occurs in anaerobic zone of a deep sandbed or in the deep areas of LR - Nitrate levels are not affected by bacteria found in shallow sandbeds), and water changes (which eliminates nitrates by diluting the concentration of nitrates through the removal of old nitrate containing water and replacing it with the introduction of new water with no nitrates).
No reason to swap your existing sand for livesand. If you currently have sand, it should be "live" (i.e. should contain bacteria and other microorganisms). Reseeding simply means to introduce a cup full of sand from another mature aquarium into your sandbed in order to improve the microdiversity of your sandbed.
HTH

manderz

It's doing ok, I can't tell if it's attached or not, but it's quit roaming. It looks like it may have attached, but he's kind of behind a rock, and I don't want to disturb him if he has.