Conch death

newbie911

for some reson my conch wasnt beging real active for a few days then he died. Does anyone know why? or have any ideas?

S

sebae0

was it a queen or fighting conch? how big is your tank and how new is it? i see your in michigan where abouts?

newbie911

well while im asking questions my colt hasnt realy been growing maybe shrinking hard to tell. seperate from conch but might as well ask.
Thanks much
Drew

S

sebae0

first off a 30 gal for a queen conch is to small. i have mine in a 180 and its about 5" now, bangguy has one about 10" i beleive, they get to big for a small tank. your tank could be to young to support the queen or a fighting conch at this point, do have diatoms or algae growth on the sand bed? they basically forage the sandbed for food. i live in warren not to far from rochesterhills.

newbie911

i had someone to take it ounce it got bigger but yes i had algea growth but it is the red kind but i have diatoms too(not as much though). He might have starved but i didnt think it was the issue.

ohioreef

:scared: Holy cow!! Not sure if I want either of those in my 75 or not!! Seems to me that they would knock my rockwork over.

S

sebae0

they wont knock your rock work over they mostly stay on the sand.

schneidts

This might sound stupid, but are you sure it was dead? They can stay dormant for long periods of time.

ohioreef

Hmmm....might be just what I need. I'm getting some buildup on my sand and my other snails seem to prefer the glass.

newbie911

schneidts
that was a case for a while then i think it died and go eaten but it wasnt doing anything for a week or more.

Water prams

[hr]
This thing needs calcium and other supps to keep up that shell growth,if it can not produce its needs by whats availible in your tank they will shut down an become lethargic.
Mine went into shock it seems when I first got him,even with a 4 hour acclimation. 2 weeks latter he was doing laps.
I supplement foods such as banding nori weed to a rock and it absolutley loves it.Just in case you think he needs a little somethin it definitly has mine moving around actively.
ScottbytheSea