Condy Anemone/Watts per Gallon

lcaldwell85

Hi guys!
I was just wondering, does anyone have experience with keeping anemone in a low light setting? I'm leary of my LFS on this point. Typically everything my sales person tells me is spot on, he knows that I always keep one step in front of my purchases via googling and this forum. I have about four watts per gallon right now, and an led moonlight strip. Standard T9 type bulbs. Two blue, two white. I know that's not very technical, I'm sorry. My husband typically handles all the purchases for the tank such as lighting/filtration/skimmer etc.. But he insists a Condy will be fine in this environment. I would be -very- inclined to disagree, but the strange thing is he has a handful condys available, and has had at least four available in the shop for the last two to three weeks that I've been in. He has them in very minimal light, infact the light bar is being shared with an neighboring tank, so not even the full force is on the tank containing the anemones. It appears to just be your standard T9 white bulbs, and the anemones look very healthy and happy. They aren't even the stark white color I've associated with a lot of other LFS that keep them under minimal lighting until they can resale. They're a very beige brown with purple tips. Doesn't that mean they have the appropriate amount of light to start the photosynthesis process? Is he keeping this coloration by supplimental feeding, or is he telling me the truth and the anemones can handle this low of light? I don't want to purchase one and have it die in my tank. I know they kind of "melt" and can pollute your tank very quickly, and I wouldn't be overly sure how to tell if the anemone is happy and healthy. Of course if I do decide to purchase I will research research research, but it seems everyone has a different (and conflicting) opinion on these somewhat "beginner" anemones. Any information anyone could supply me on this would be great! Thanks in advance for your help!

mr. limpid

Sound like you have power compact lights. I raised a Hatti anemone under PC lights in a 20gal long which put the anemone about 6 to 10 inches from light. I had 5.5wat per gal it went from snow white to brown in several years and tripled in size. 4 wats my be to low for anemone.

lcaldwell85

Thanks for the info. So, having experience with condys, can you tell me are there any sure fire way to tell whether or not they are sick/dying? I know a gaping mouth is one indicator, but other than that I'm not sure what to look for. I've been frightened by the horror stories of anemones "melting" in someone's tank and completely messing up their system and killing all their fish......

mr. limpid

If the white that means all there algae in there body is gone and they are starving. If they look like they have turned inside out from there mouth, they are dying. They have one of the strongest sting of anemones. I got a tank raised oscellaris to host one because it was already hosting at LFS, but still took 6 months in my DT B4 that happened.

lcaldwell85

Thank you for all the information. Is there a low light or beginner anemone you or anyone could suggest to try? I like the look of Rock Flowers, but I haven't done enough research on them yet. ( I would before I decided to purchase, I know that anemones aren't really something you want to risk due to the fact they are harvested. ) Upon lots of research on "low light" anemones, I've come up with multiple opinions by different authors. But the general opinion all seem to point to one Anemone. The Tube Anemone. These seem a little violent and agressive for a tank. There's a pretty nasty youtube time condensed video of one of these anemones basically slaughtering a fish. Are they always this agressive? They also have very long and string like tentacles that you would think a fish wouldnt be able to avoid running into. Has anyone had experience with this anemone?

mr. limpid

The rock anemone needs less light, you should contact florida joe he just added one to his tank, he will be able to give you good advise.