conflicting info

besba

Even tho my tanks been set up for about 11/2 year, I consider myself new at this. I get so much conflicting info. I started by using a guy in our area who services alot of SW tanks. He's against any LR or LS, does FO, and Likes a very CLEAN tank. I would like to go a more natural route. I have gotten some LR and LS to add to my dead coral. Everything seems okay, but my Nitrates are high even after months. Everyone on this site seems to think additives are a no no, but the LFS talked me into a product called Nitrex. Every heard of it? Had it in one week and the nitrates are still high(80ppm) but seem to be coming down a little.

smalltimer

The only thing I ever have done in a non plenum tank is water changes every week with r.o. mix. I think a plenum is a no no now but I had on 3 years ago and had 1 to 10 nitrates per week, but still did my h2o changes.
Good Luck

new

i think calupera and water changes are the answer. i have 4 different macros growing in my tank, all help nitrates, something for livestock to munch and looks natural as long as i dont let it take over.

besba

I have a wet dry. I've been on this site before about the high nitrates. I only have about 1-2" of LS. Everyone except the LFS says I need MORE. Anyway, I'm gonna order some and see if it helps. I also have no Clean up crew to speak of, but am afraid to add them wit Nitrates so High. I use all RO water now, but started that about 4 months ago. Until then, I finally realized that some of the high nitrates where being caused by my well water. Maybe it's just gonna take some time to come down.