Confused about killer Powerheads

mombostic

I read post after post about differents things, usually corals and anemones, getting sucked into powerheads, usually with tragic results. I don't really understand this.
My powerheads have this pointy plastic guard thing on them that NOTHING could get through. The worst thing I have seen is a piece of seaweed salad getting stuck to the screen and I had to take it off. How are things getting sucked into powerheads? Aren't the plastic guards a good idea?
On a side note, mine are Penguin powerheads and they used to be on top of the plastic tubes of a undergravel filter--I don't have it anymore, so please no one have a heart attack.
I just wondered if other powerhead didn't come with some sort of guard of something. I'm considering upgrading and I was going to get some new equipment, but maybe I should stick to my Penguins?
:notsure:

misty7850

One of my powerheads is a penguin with the pointy plastic fish saver also... I also have rio's but you have been lucky.. I have had my anemone, snails, and other.. get themselves too close and sucked in at one time or another.. I keep sponges over mine to protect my babies..
such is life.. :happyfish

thegrog

Well, some people don't use the screens.
The other thing is that anemones are basically sacks of fluid that can fit into very small spaces if sucked in. Even with the small screens, the tenticals can still get sucked in. That is why sponge filters are the prefered screen. the sponge distributes the suction so that nothing can get in.

ifusayso

Originally Posted by re_vogel
where do you get sponge filters

I've seen them at my lfs. They weren't being sold in the aquarium section. But they are a filter media like I use in my pond. Its black sponge like material. I would imagine you would just cut a small piece and slice a "t" shaped slit and slide it over the tip of your powerhead. They usually can be easily stretched to fit. HTH...don't personally have a powerhead, but like I said I use it alot for making my filter system for my pond.

ifusayso

Originally Posted by re_vogel
so does it come as a without a opening. Kind of like a ball...
They come in different shapes and sizes, not sure about ball shaped. You can get like a square sheet about 1/2 to 1 inch thick and cut to the size of the guard.
Someone on here showed a picture of theirs done like that...I'll see if I can find it.

oceanists

My maroon clown (one from 2 that were pairing) got sucked up , my Coral Beauty got stuck luckily i tunred of the pwer head in time , and my FREAKIN turbos get stuck to , i lost one turbo and my wife didnt tell me it was stuck on the power head she just took it off and kept it in the tank dead , so it was in there for 3 days rotting , it stunk like hell when i took it out , wish i wouldve known earlier ,,,,, didnt hurt my water qaulity though

mombostic

If you use a sponge filter, it will catch debris, such as extra food or poop or whatever, so it's important to clean it often or the stuff will just sit and break down and basically pollute your tank.

chevcam

I have two aquaclear 70 and have lost two fish I then found some sponges and that helped till the other day I my wife called me and aparantly the sponge fell off somehow and my 5 inch naso tangs face was being suck off. Thankfully she caught it in time and she saved it his eye was poped out a little but now its back to normal. I 'm going to pick up differant power heads that are safer.