Connecting two tanks

jpence151

Looking for anyone who might have tried this. I want to know if it is a mistake before I do it.
I have a 120 gal and a 45 gal tank.
with my 120 I have two wet/dry's connected as shown in the pic, with a skimmer in each.
Each wet/dry should handle a 150 from what my lfs told me. I bought the 120 setup like this.
The 45 was an established tank when I bought it.
I want to connect on overflow to the 120, and the other to the 45.
Then I want to return to go to the 120, and use an overflow from the 120 to the 45. Seems to me that this would create a 165 gal system. The 120 I want for my common fish with some Corals, the 45 I would like to place a devider so I can put a few clowns in half, and a few seahorses in the other half. Goal is to try to breed them. Would this type of setup be benificial for water stability, or would it possibly cause problems down the road.

jpence151

This is the 45 which I would build a new stand to put the tops of each tank at the same height.
I have currently placed the contents of the 45 into the 120.
TIA for advice
John

jpence151

OK I made this attempt this weekend. Here is a ruff draft of what I have done. The leveler (overflow) between the 120 and 45 is made of 1" PVC (Thin wall). I used a tee in the center with an airhose shutoff valve to prime the tube. This seems to work well. The water is replaced in the 45 at the same rate it dumps into the w/d system. I will post pictures of the setup soon.