Considering a Puffer

jumpfrog

My wife has fallen in love with porcupine puffers so I'm considering setting her up a species only tank with a Diodon holocanthus "Spiny Puffer."
Any experiences/recommendations?

They get pretty good sized 10+ inches. But for personality they are on the top of my list ! There are people who even pet theres. Like all puffers they will need a good diet and will atempt to eat you out of house and home.
I personally wished they didn't get so big as I would have one again. I just can not trust my triggers with one.
All in all great fish, excellent personallity and a looker besides :)
HTH

jumpfrog

snakes. Thanks, always good advice from you!
How fast do they grow? It's like they talk about the size triggers get and I completely understand the long term considerations. But my humma has grown maybe an 1" in a year and half.
Do the porc's grow slowly or like panthers, really fast?

pufferfan

i kept one in a 30 gallon for a couple of years, i would say his growth rate was average. Not too fast, not too slow.

jumpfrog

puffer. Was it happy in the 30? Do they swim around much? From reading other threads they seem to act much like lions. Kinda hang out in one area until the food comes along.
I want to make sure I understand this fish before I make the commitment.

karajay

I had a porc. puffer in a 55. He pretty much loafed for most of the day. But you can't beat the smiling face!

I had a porky for about 8 months and he doubled his size in that time. If they are fed well they will grow faster. Triggers on the other hand seem to never really have growth spurts. My puffer was eating krill, shrimp, squid ect. the same as the triggers. He grew like a weed compared to them. He went from 2 inches to 4 inches. Just be ready for them to grow :)
I wouldn't recomend a porky in anything smaller than a 55 or a 75.