Considering A sump... I have no clue, please help

jwhiteuwc

It's about time for me to setup a sump, but I have no clue what I'm looking for or what to purchase.
I'm looking at placing the sump in my basement and understand the "max head" in a pump and I think I know what size pump I need, but would like your opinion.
I have a 55 Gallon and looking to use a 35gallon sump to return water back to the main system. The sump will sit about 12-15 feet below the main display tank and reside in the basement. Now the question I have are these:
What size overflow do I purchase? 300gph, 600gph, etc?
Pump I was considering is coralife 580-P, 586GPH 16.4 MAX head. So if I'm thinking of this right, i would need a overflow rated at 600gph to keep up with the pump???? Is that correct? or would I jump right to 800gph?
Please make any suggestions in pumps, sumps, overflows... I'm completely new at the sump situation :)
Equipment list I'm thinking of is this?
CPR overflow: 1" Bulkhead, 600 gph
Coralife 580-P pump
All-Glass Megaflow model 3 sump.
What else should I consider? I'm sure I'm missing something :)
Thank you all very much for your help. What would I do without the help of everyone here... I think i would have a big flood :)

C

cmaxwell39

If the pump is rated for 580 gph then it will give you that flow ao head. Max head is the point at which the pump will no longer move any water. Between 0 head and max head you will lose pumping capacity. You will need a pump that is rated for 500 to 600 gph at 15 foot of head. I am not familiar enough with the flow charts of pumps to know which one would work for you, but I am sure that someone here would be able to point you in the right direction.

robn70

Another thing to consider, will the sump handle to extra water from roughly 15 feet of return line plus the overflow of the tank in the event of a power outage. You may want to think about a larger sump.

bpd

Originally Posted by RobN70
You may want to think about a larger sump.
Or a different placement
Does it HAVE to be in the basement? If so, you're going to have to use something like a mag 24 or 36 to get the flow you need.
Not to mention water crashing down into a small sump and being sent back up immediately means microbubbles galore

V

vicegrip

If you used a mag drive pump you would need at least the 36. At $174, imo not worth putting in the basement. The water in the piping alone would fill half of the sump if the pump or power failed. Just wondering why not put it under the tank?

jwhiteuwc

I guess my main reason for placing the sump in the basement is easy water changes. This way I can use my RO/DI of premixed, heated saltwater and just replace it directly into the sump without carring buckets.
I'm open to suggestions, the main purpose of the basement placement is ease of water changes any other suggestions to accomplishing this would help.
Right now I have 40gallons of premixed saltwater in the basement in a rubbermaid container. If I could directly siphone water from this container to my main display in some other manner, that would be great. Of course I can do a siphone line with a ball valve for draining the main tank if needed to the basement drain.
What other possible solutions would I have?
Thanks a million.

V

vicegrip

I think most guy only do a 10% water change once a week. I only do a water change once a month and test weekly.
Imo you would be happier with the sump under the tank or in the next room. But where there is a will....