Considering buying a tank setup--should I?

mombostic

Okay, so the guy I bought my flame scallop from a few weeks back is selling off his whole tank. He was selling parts of it if anyone wanted to buy, but he is also pricing the whole thing to sell. It's a clean, beautiful tank, but there seems to be quite a few fish in there--more than I have in my 90! Plus I'm not sure what everything is as far as corals go. Here's the deal.
55 gallon tank w/stand
Coralife pc lighting, 4 65w, 2 10000 and 2 actinic
Remora (?) skimmer
Emp bio-wheel filter with two wheels
two maxi-jet powerheads (1200 maybe?)
Around four inches of live sand
I'm guessing 60 to 70 pounds of live rock--he says more, but...
150 watt heater
thermometer
various food and testing kits, an extra powerhead, some other misc. stuff like brushes and such
Okay, now here's the livestock in the tank...
1 four-stripe damsel
1 blue devil
1 peachy-colored unidentified damsel
2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow tang
1 coral beauty
1 wrasse, I think it's a fairy wrasse
1 lawnmower blenny
2 emerald crabs
2 cleaner shrimp
2 peps
? hermit crabs
? snails
1 Bubble tip anemone (looks to be in good health)
2 feather dusters
Here's the corals as best as I can identify them
1 colt (I'm pretty sure about this one) large, about eight inches tall
1 large, toad-stool looking thing that is pink and hairy on top
1 rock with what he calls mushroom anemones
1 rock with a colony of polyps, possibly buttons
1 tiny rock with little orange branches, maybe polyps?
1 cup coral about four inches across
He's asking $800 for all. I already bought his scallop. The tank is two years old and is very beautiful, despite its questionable bio-load.
Okay, I'm anxiously expecting responses!

paulcoates

The bio load does look a little high but he looks like he has a lot of water movement. Personally I wold ask him if you could buy everything but the tank and stand, then go buy your 90 gallon tank and stand

mombostic

Well, another 90 opens up a whole new can of worms.
I have to reinforce the floor to do that, like I did when I got my 90 that I have now. The 55 is at the limit so I don't have to do that, but it's a suggestion that certainly gives me something to think about. Is that price a good deal? Considering what I have sunk into mine, I say it's a great deal! I wonder what he would sell the contents only for? Hmmm............
I don't want to put any of the fish in my 90, because IMO I have all I need in there now. I would put the tang in my bigger tank, but I already have one yellow, and I'm pretty sure two in there wouldn't cut it.

mombostic

Fayette/Greenbrier county, near the line. Do you ever go to Inland Reef at Cross Lanes? I've heard of it but never been there.

stacylrt

Yes I have. They get livestock in every other friday. I have bought several fish from them. They only have a 2day replacement policy. I buy my food there, its cheeper. I buy the biggest part of my stuff from Jomars in Nitro. He has a 7 day replacement policy and his stuff is good.
Where is the 90g for sale at.

teresaq

:D Here ya go. buy his 55 and everything in it, then go and buy a 150, combine everything from that tank and your tank, use the 55 as a sump/refuge, and sell your 90 and any extra equipment.

mombostic

It's not a 90 for sale--that's what I have. It's a 55--with nine fish in it. A guy my husband works with told him about it, it's in Webster County, I'm not sure of the name of the town.
I went to WVU, too. Class of....well, nevermind.
Would 16 fish even go in a 150? It just seems like a lot to me, especially since it would be two yellow tangs, plus mixing two pairs of different clownfish, and two coral beauties, and my rather mild-mannered three-stripe with his four stripe and a blue devil. To be honest, it almost sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. What do you think?
Stacylrt--is Jomars hard to find in Nitro? I'm very familiar with all of that area--my mom lives and works in Charleston, and my daughter sees all of her doctors down there. I was born and raised in (drumroll) Cabin Creek. Familiar with that? A lot of my grandfather's family is in Winfield and Chesapeake.

stacylrt

No its not hard to find. It is located on the main street leading from Dunbar to Poca. His address is 1102 11th St. Nitro. He is about 5 to 6 blocks down from the Nitro Hobby shop. His phone number is 755-2437. He gets shippments in sometimes twice aweek. Usually Tuesdays and Thursdays. I just call to make sure he got them in first. He will also order you anything you want. He is having a coral auction there sunday at 3pm.

X

xnikki118x

BUY IT!! $800 for a 55 with all livestock and equipment is one hell of a deal!
I definitely wouldn't combine your 90 and the 55 in a 150, considering all the recipes for disaster in the fish combination haha. But hey, you can have two tanks and they'll be beautiful!!
Anything in the 55 that you don't want or think is too much, you can always trade/sell it on here or at your LFS or something.
I really hope you go through with the purchase. It's a great deal, IMO.

mombostic

Well, I did it.
xnikki118x----You and I feel the same way. When I added up the costs of what he has if it was purchased new, it's a lot more than $800. Also, his system is set up very similar to mine, so I shouldn't have too much learning to do with it. I called him and we go next weekend to pick it all up. It's about one hour to his place. Now I have to get a moving plan into place.
stacylrt--Guess what? It was Saturday, so me and the kids took a little drive to Nitro! It's a great LFS, probably the best one I've been in so far. There's a pretty good one in Beckley, but he deals with fish only, no corals or anything. Jo-Mar's was very impressive. I got a xenia and a some more hermit crabs. I could have gotten several other things, but since I've just coughed up 800 for the new tank, I thought I'd better take it easy for a while! It's very clean--all the fish tanks are very tidy. It's better than the Petland on Corridor G, don't you think? Have you ever been in there?
Well, thanks to everyone for your advice--hopefully I won't be full of regret in the morning!

stacylrt

It is 100% better than the petland on corridor g. I wouldn't by anything from in there. They don't even know how to test aquarium water. I refuse to buy anything from in there. There tanks are very dirty. I am glad you liked Jomars. He does seem to have the cleanest tanks around. He will also take anything in on trade. I have traded a couple of things myself. Even things I didn't buy from him. So any of those fish from the other tank you decide you don't want to keep just take them to Jomars. Do you know about the Chemical Valley Reef Club web site Its at www.reefcentral.com and then go under discussion forums on the left. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and in the blue area I think its the first one says club forums. Click there and then look for Chemical valley Reef club. This is people here in ky,wv,oh. There are other states there as well.

mombostic

Thanks for the info., and thanks for leading me to a reputable LFS. Even though I do order online, you just about have to have a good LFS to depend on, too.
I'll check that chem. valley reef club thing out. I saw the sign in Jo-Mars.
I think I'll take the three damsels from the new tank down there, and probably the tang and the coral beauty. I'm in the market for a cherub angel. I love those little guys, but I can't have one in my 90 because of my coral beauty. I'm pretty attached to him, so he's not going anywhere. At least they stand a good chance of going to a good home from down there.
Thanks again.