Considering Copperband

cedarreef

I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank that I will be converting into a reef VERY soon. The next fish I really wanted to buy is a Copperband Butterfly. I've heard that they pick on inverts such as anemones and feather dusters. I don't plan on having an anemone, but a feather duster is a possibility. Has anyone else had this fish in a reef without any problems? How difficult are they to care for? I've read that they are fairly difficult to keep, but I'm just wondering how true that is. Thanks!

spiderwoman

They are finiky and you need to have a mature system with tons of LR. 46 gallon tank is most likely not big enough to successfully grow a CBB.

I have one, and have had no issues with my feather dusters.
They are a hardy fish, but the problem is if you can get them to eat frozen mysis. If you get one, have the LFS throw some food in the tank and take one that you see eating.

cedarreef

First off, I'll see if my LFS even has some, then I'll judge whether I get one by how they are eating and, of course, price.

funkysean5

I also have one, he tried to pick at little feather dusters. Also, he didn't eat the first couple of days, but now he will eat anything.

I have one as well, let me tell you they love aptiasia, and if you decide to get one make sure that it isn't small at least 4in., the little ones don't do very well. As for your reef setup I have read that they can pick at every coral imaginable, but I have not had any experience with this happening, I have mune in FOWLR tank but just so happen to have some random zoas that came in on live rock and he hasn't touched them yet

reefreak29

Originally Posted by dodgr31
http:///forum/post/2756501
I have had one for about 8 months, no problems great fish.
you say you had one for eight months with no problems yet you only had it 8 months. please dont put this fish in such a small tank

dodgr31

Freak,
Who are you speaking to? Maybe you should get your facts straight... I have had one for 8 months, I have a 100 gallon reef. I responded to a question by another member who asked about having one IN A REEF "Has anyone else had this fish in a reef without any problems? How difficult are they to care for? I've read that they are fairly difficult to keep, but I'm just wondering how true that is. Thanks!
[/B] I responded to the fish question not the tank size. 8 months is long enough to make a informative decision.
Thank you!