considering coral/marbled shark: (gasguzzler and others with experience plz advise)

hellspawn

I've always known I didn't have enough room for a bamboo shark, but I was browsing some threads last night and ran aross this post from gasguzzler:
Originally posted by gasguzzler
Do not buy a shark if you have less than 180 gallons of water, unless you want a coral catshark, which would be fine its entire life in an 80 gallon.

(https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...4&highlight=80)
So I did a little more research and found some info saying that the average for these sharks is 40-50 cm, with the max being 65 or so. I have an 80 gallon bowfront and just wanted to doublecheck that this was adequate, but I am confidant that gasguzzler knows his stuff from reading his other posts.
I have also read that the marbled cat sharks stay the same size as corals, would one be preferable over the other for any reason?
It seems like people have been keeping lions and eels with these sharks, and I have read to avoid angels, puffers, and triggers. How about a harlequin tuskfish or tang?
I have a 120lbs LR, but I can remove some if necessary to make more swimming room, would this be required? Thanks in advance!

sharkguy1

In aquarium shark and rays book it says that a marble cat shark can be kept and a tankof 70 gallons and they get about 24inches. And for the coral cat nned 110 gallons. I think a coral and marble would be fine in a 80. I had a coral cat and they are the most inactive shark except at night when there hunting for food.With keeping shark with eels is fine unlles theres a size different and I wouldnt keep a shark with a lion becuase I did one time and the lion did not like the shark bumping intohim and trying to steal his food so one day my yellow sting got spiked and died the next day.

hellspawn

thanks for the response! So I could keep a marble and a coral togther in an 80? That would be sweetness. Would you happen to know of any places on the internet with pictures, or could you possibly post some pictures of your own? I have seen hardly any pics of marble or coral cats.

zonut

if you have lr you wont see em except at night when they are cruising the rock for food in the dark. they dont swim in the column.

mattiej

You might want to consider holding off on the catsharks until you get a larger tank. I wouldn't recommend sharks ( any species) in anything less than 150 gallons. Sharks that are kept in too small of a tank, while they may survive and live, will not last the full span of their lives nor will they be healthy. It is far better to house the cat sharks in the appropiate sized tank from the start rather then attempt to keep one in such a small tank.

tony detroit

Originally posted by Hellspawn
I have an 80 gallon bowfront and just wanted to doublecheck that this was adequate

You'll want larger after 2 years, max.

hellspawn

lilstrup, plz keep your pointless posts off my thread unless u have something helpful to contribute, u have been the last poster on every single thread in this forum for the sole pathetic reason of rasing your postcount.
If anyone would care to address my initial questions it would be appreciated.

mattiej

Hellspawn, I have kept both the coral and marble cat sharks and have found both to be very hardy if given the right conditions. They both need plenty of swimming space even though they appear to be fairly inactive sharks. A fine coral sand of atleast three inch depth is best for these guys. Liverock can be placed in the tank but there should be a premium on open swimming space. Any caves or structures should be very stable and not be able to tip or collapse. I would recommend epoxying rocks to create caves and underhangs before adding the shark. One word of caution most sharks have problems with curing epoxy in their tanks, best advice avoid this problem. I am sure you already know that the best bio-filter and skimmer are musts so I won't go into that.
As to the 80 gallon tank, either shark could be housed in it for a short time but will soon out grow the tank. IMHO cat sharks are best kept in tanks no less than 125, MINIMUM. This comes from working with several breeding pairs at the aquarium.
When it comes to mixing other fish with sharks, it is problematic at best. Either the sharks is nipped at and suffers or the tank mate disappears in the night. I would caution against adding any triggers to the shark tank as these are notorious nippers. It is very difficult for even experienced shark keepers to nurse an ailing shark back to health.
One last piece of advice is to continue to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge on these boards and most are experienced and more than willing to help. Don't get discouraged and keep us posted.