constant nitrate level ... is this a problem?

beattyr

My tank has been up about a month and I have finished the cycle, but I can not seem to get Nitrates below 20ppm. It holds steady right at 20. I have a 37 gal tank with about 4" DSB and about 25 lbs of LR. Amm is 0.0 as is Nitrites. I have done several water changes of about 25% with RO water and still no change in Nitrate level. I am going to bring home some more RO water tonight and test it with the test kit to make sure it is accurate. Any other suggestions?
Rob

bluemarlin

Nitrates are not bad at 20ppm. Keep up the regular water changes and that will keep that at a minimal amount. Your ammonia and nitrites (Both much more toxic to fish) are at 0ppm so you are good to go. Add things slowly so the bacteria have a chance to keep up.

twoods71

I agree that nitrates at 20 ppm is not that bad. Trying to lower the level a bit is a good idea but no need to panic while doing so.
I think you have a good idea in testing fresh RO water for nitrates because it seems to me after several 25% water changes there should be a difference in the nitrate level.

falcon63

is this a fish only tank? if so you are fine. if you go reef you need totyr to getit down try kents nitrates sponge worked for me

richard rendos

Are you measuring nitrates before or after water change? If you do a 25% water change, the nitrates should be reduced by 25%. If they are 20ppm before water change, they should be 15ppm after. If the level is not changing, then I would suggest trying a different test kit.