constantly low ph

buckey

I have a problem of my ph dropping of ater i do a water change. At first it is good at 8.2 but witin a couple days it fals off to 8.0 or 7.8 or so. Its a 50g with only about 20lbs lr and a canister filter. Any ideas of what i should do different or add to it?

captained

Without a fair amount of LR, LS or CC to maintain a buffer, your pH is always going to drop pretty quickly. You can get additives, although dripping kalkwasser will keep you pH up and has other benefits as well.
Be sure to test the pH levels at the same time of day- it drops at night, so to get the best idea of how much you're "losing" over a period of time, you need to test at the same time of day.

broomer5

Your pH could be dropping due to several things.
What type freshwater source are you using.
Tap, RO, RO/DI, Distilled ?
What brand of salt mix ?
What is pH of the fresh water ?
What is the pH of the newly mixed saltwater after 24 hours of being mixed ?
Are you adding any marine buffers, alkalinity or calcium additives ?
What size tank and how large a water change do you normally do ?
What test kit are you using.
Without knowing these - would just be a guess.

jacrmill

are you testing at night? when you test at night you usually get lower PH radings. What kind of substrate do you have? any LR? what kind of PH buffer are you using?

fshhub

dropping that low, seems to me that the first thing i would check is my alkalinity, if the alk and calcium are not ok, you will never be able to keep the ph stable, and in a cople of days, it will fall again
and if htat is not the prob, then we could look elsewhere, but generally they would be the culprits

jastim

Buckey: do two thing: measure the KH of your tank water then measure the KH of your tap water you use to do your water changes (or whatever type of water you use). My guess is that you have very little or no alkalinity in the water you are using to do you changes. That is the problem I have with my tap water. It actually measures below 1.0 for alkalinity. I have to add Marine Buffer to my water during every change or I have severe pH fluctuations. The buffer is really just carbonate like what is in baking soda. This makes your system less suspeptable to quick pH drops. I acts by neutralizing acids that are created in your system by waste breakdown. When this is all used up there is nothing to neutralize the acids and your pH decreases. Also, is your tank currently cycling? Any chance you are overfeeding? Both of these things can result in reduced alkalinity.

ebeckels

I use perfect PH 8.2 every once in a while in top offs and changes...My PH does not fluctuate much at all. I use a refugium to keep the PH stable at night.

buckey

Well the only additve i have been useing is one called coral vite by kent. I had tried some of that proper 8.2 by aquarium pharmasuticals an it worked great for oh about a day and then it dropped off again. I am useing tap water and it checks out perfect for ph after i mix it up with my salt, which is crystal sea. No matter what time of the day i check it is always 8.0 or below. I have only about 20 lbs of live rock with cc and a canister filter. I am hardly feeding because i only have one damsel and a clean up crew. I dont wanna add anything until i can get it stable. Would brand of buffer should i try? Thanks for all the input so far.

fshhub

check the alkalinity, as mentioned, if it is low, you will never be able to keep the ph up if this is the case

jastim

With continuous buffer capicity loss, something has to be using it up. The only thing i can think of that would cause this would be something decaying in the tank or overfeeding. Is it possible that you have die off on your lr or someting decaying that you don't know about...maybe hinding in the rocks somewhere? That would result in a lot of carbonate loss.
As far as buffers I use Marine Buffer 8.3. Baking soda also works but will necessarily stablize at a specific pH. You have to be very careful about the dosage when using plain baking soda.

broomer5

As others have stated;
Check your alkalinity - Salifert makes a good test kit.
Check your calcium - again Salifert is my choice.
You'll need to follow your calcium as you adjust your alk.
Of course - continue monitoring your pH - kind of goes without saying.
Since you seem to use Kent products already - you can use Kent Super dKH - it will build you alkalinity back up to where it should be, and again as mentioned above, will stabalize your pH.
SeaChem makes these marine products as well.
If you are eventually going reef tank - you'll want to maintain calcium levels too. Good time to start that now as you're adjusting your alkalinity.
I'm not familiar with Crystal Sea brand of seasalt, I've always used IO.
I'd add a powerhead or two for added circulation too, if all you have now is the canister.
Good luck - much good advise above.