Constipated Puffer (help)

john rambo

I have a 125 saltwater aquarium fowlr that has been running for nearly two years housing a large stars and stripes puffer. I do water changes every 2 to 3 weeks and I have not made any recent changes to the aquarium. Recently when feeding my puffer I have noticed his belly seems to be bulking out unusually in areas it hasn't before (mainly farther back on his belly). Since he is such a large puffer (12 inches) it was a pretty noticable difference when I saw his belly bulking out differently than normal and thats why I'm concerned. Also his belly seems to be skinnier back around his butt. His behavior is still the same and he is always eager for a meal. I feed him mainly silversides, along with some krill and shrimp. Any input and advice on how to go about curing constipation would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to look tomorrow and see if theres any poop in the sand because it's easy to spot.
Thanks

i love fish

have u tried epsom salts? I'm not sure though if u can use them in ur DT. My emperor was constipated for 3 days while in quarrantine and the epsom salts fixed it.

john rambo

I havent tried that yet but somebody else suggested it as well. I will probably take water from his display tank and put it in a 20 gallon and keep him in the epsom salt for 30 minutes to an hour depending on if he shows any signs of stress. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

i love fish

u could also elevate the temperature abit and try not 2 feed him for a day or 2, but if u must try spirinula algae or something vegetable based,not meety stuff.