Controlling color of Coralline algae

calaxa

I'm curious if there is a way to control the color of coralline that you get in the tank. Lately I've been getting deep red (thought it was cyano at first) and now getting bright green (again thought it was a nuisance algae). I prefer to have more pink. Unfortunately most of mine is purple.

big

Here is a post I just recieved today from a on line site I subscribe too This may help.........
Quote as follows
Encrusting Coralline Algae is what gives many saltwater aquariums their color and a good covering is the goal of most marine aquarists. Coralline Algae exists in a variety of different colors (green, pink, white, purple, red).
Unlike Brown, Green Hair and Red Slime Algae, which (frequently) grow in your tank whether you like it or not, Coralline Algae must be physically brought into your tank in order for it to reproduce and populate the various surfaces. Coralline Algae can be introduced to your tank by installing:
Coralline covered Live Rock
Coralline scrapings from another tank
Commercial Coralline Algae starter packages
The more types of Coralline (green, pink, white, purple, red) that you add to your tank, the more you will see growing on your Live Rock, substrate and aquarium walls. Once you have some Coralline Algae in your tank, how do you get it to reproduce and spread throughout your tank? One simple method is to turn off all tank filters and skimmers, leaving any powerheads running. With a single edged razor blade, scrape the existing Coralline off the front and side tank walls. The water current generated by the powerhead will spread the Coralline scrapings throughout the tank where they will continue to grow. After an hour or so, turn the skimmers and filters back on.

michaeltx

There is no way to control the color.
each color has a different need as far as light the darker colors are usually deeper water and just cant thrive in the intense light we use in the tanks. the pinks and purples are the most suitable colors for our lights we use. The purple is the main color its alot more adapted to the higher light and will eventually cover all the others if they do survive.
HTH
Mike

calaxa

Well I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I got 4 out of the 5 colors. No white. I just thought it was odd I started getting the dark red and bright green. Must be some of the new rock I put in few months ago.