Converting fresh water tanks

evelynne

How many here have taken small fresh water tanks and turned them into successful nano tanks? I would really love to see some pics and hear how it was done. I know hubby is thinking about converting a fluval Chi, but I figured there may be other options out there he may not have thought of we could look into. He wants just a zoa tank. I'd love to hear about the retrofit and what equipment went into it. Thanks. And don't forget the pics LOL, I'm a visual learner.

mylady

Oh crud, this time I posted under my daughters account. This all gets so confusing! I think we each need our own computer! But I'm the one who wants to know LOL

S

smartorl

It can be done very easily. Anything that holds water can technically be converted to a saltwater tank.
The smaller the tank, the more difficulty you will potentially have in keeping the parameters stable. Maintenence and testing is really important.
I have quite a few 5 and 10 plain glass rectangle tanks that I use for my dwarfs in addition to some plastic tubs. For that purpose, I have more specialized needs that wouldn't apply to a reef type tank.
The same sand, live rock combo like a large tank will act as filtration. A simple HOB filter, a nano skimmer, and lighting that would support your needs and you are in business.
I have a small 3 gallon pico next to my bed that I picked up that supports some mushrooms and zoas that I picked up at my lfs used for $75 complete.

evelynne

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!